Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Inner Tube - How Many Uses?

Question Inner Tube - How Many Uses?

Apart from making Ranger Bands and as fire lighting material, do you have any other uses for inner tube?

I'll start with a quick tip:

Cut a piece of inner tube about eight inches long and fold one end back on itself and tape it up to use the tube to store tent pegs for your tarp or tent so they don't damage anything, as it's not always feasible to make your own pegs when out there.

Any other uses?

As a light bracket for your bicycle, cut a 6" length, at one end measure back 1cm and cut a slit 1cm width-ways, now, slip the non slit end over your 'maglite torch', place the torch facing forward on your handlebars (underslung) then take the slitted end and push the head of the torch through it-et viola

on the bike theme, you can use an old bit of tube and some zip ties to act as a chip preventer on your frame, I have a bit where my chain makes contact with the frame occasionally
    Bang on!

Is handy to use to contain air in your bicycle tires.................

Lol, I've used it as Ranger bands, put over an knife handle to give it more grip, depending on the size it can be handy to hold your two piece fishing rod together during transport (brocolli rubbers, etc works well too)............can see Elton John using it creatively to help him last longer......... did I mention using it to store air in your bicycle tires?

you can also put a band around your sheath and use it to keep a fire steel in place if you lack that feature, so its there for fire kit and also for putting fatwood or tinder behind the flap. Also as kids we made some shockingly inefficient sling shots with them!

So yeah you can burn it, it provides smoke, holds air in tires apparently, holds a maglite, fire steel, fatwood and tinder, slingshots, tent pegs, ranger bands, not a bad little list accumulating
    Last edited by feebullet; 17-03-2011 at 05:50 AM.
    Bang on!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Cut about a 9" length (personal preference on the acutal size), apply Superglue to one end and then sew with some strong twine just in case. Hey presto! An improvised condom.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Cut about a 9" length (personal preference on the acutal size), apply Superglue to one end and then sew with some strong twine just in case. Hey presto! An improvised condom.

Martin
    Trust you to de-sensitise a decent thread.

Geddit?

Tribal Elder
    Can also be used to warm up the stabilizer muscle groups before exercise.... also can be used as a resistance tube for exercise.

cut rings from it to use as heavy duty elastic bands, they can be used for all sorts. Rings can be used as rubber bungies on things like tents and tarps.

used in long lengths (cut the tube in a spiral for max lengths) it can be used to tie all sorts together. i've seen it used that way to laminate boards together when making bows.

wrapped over things that you don't want slipping such as on a car roof rack.

tie one end and see if your mate can blow it up. fun when drinking that one
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Glue sections together to make a gimp suit?