Thread: Roman Nails

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Roman Nails

hello,
    This is for Woody. I couldn't post an image via PM so I'm posting this as a thread. Please do feel free (Mods) to remove the thread if in wrong place or other.
    I'm not 100% what the proper name is of this nail? but they resemble the small type used for shoeing horses they're about 6" inches+ in length or thereabouts, have a squared head & near square body that tapers to a point. I refer to them as "Roman" or "Crucifixion" nails. In the village blacksmiths sometime ago I heard them being referred to as 1 penny nails. They're weighty but can be shaped & used as a steel striker (tried & tested). I've found a few in the past rusted whilst out walking & used them without shaping them. I struck the nails off flint nodules & they do shew sparks. I'm sure a blacksmith would know what I'm talking about & probably even make one if there are none around. All that is required is the head end bent upwards like a walking stick shape, you could possibly bend both ends upwards like a U but I at the time of finding such I only bent the 1 end (the head) upwards leaving the point intact. It's the novelty use of an actual nail that's been recycled by the "Smiddy" (blacksmith) for Bushcraft use with flint I like about it.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	13651

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Hello mate.
    Ive used these before, rose head nails we call the smaller ones ,or forged nails and even smiddy nails as you quite rightly said....
    These are at least 6 inches long though which obviously would help shape into a traditional steelstriker ...
    In the US they call them "wrought head nails" I think.
    I also sometimes find these in thatched roofs when converting lofts etc.

I'll see if I can find some in the van, I'm sure I got a load leftover from a nice job last year...
    I'll let you know!

Regards
    Last edited by Woody; 02-05-2016 at 07:30 PM.

One with Nature
    hello Woody,
    Good lad. As said try them out on a nodule of flint if they shew sparks your onto something.
    Regards
    David

Belper is about 5 miles from where I live....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/work/e...rticle_1.shtml

One with Nature
    hello,
    Peaks I had a read T.Y for posting the details.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Belper is about 5 miles from where I live....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/work/e...rticle_1.shtml

One with Nature
    hello,
    I've been busy of late burning daylight each day trying to put in some Bushcraft time where possible. Of late I've caught the "stone kickers" bug. I've found a few agates & trying out these along with some recently acquired, all shew sparks. I received a "penny nail" steel striker (size 70cm x 30cm) as a gift earlier in the year. BTW this striker is awesome, hot off the anvil with both head & point removed. I've had it in my FSK pouch along with a few NEW agates I've picked up along the way, not forgetting the much sought after iron pyrites (dinosaur or dragon's blood). left to right iron pyrites (dinosaur or dragon's blood), iron pyrites (fools gold), pink coloured chert, milky chert, front & centre a slice of amadou tinder. The nodule of iron pyrites (dinosaur or dragon's blood) measures 50cm x 40cm as to gauge the size against the other agates. The round nodule of iron pyrites (fools gold) I was gifted a huge pouch of these by a "stone kicker" friend from Glasgow. When struck they're not as brittle as imagined alike to fools gold nodules or cubes which are prone to crumbling. With both types of iron pyrites I've created a small flat striking surface with a file or rubbed against a piece of sand stone, both shew sparks. I have the striker attached to a piece of orange reflective paracord just incase I mislay it. I've shared a few nodules of these agates with Natural Bushcraft & BCUSA buddy's a share of the bounty harvested earlier this year.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	13775
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 27-08-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Wow David, nice selection of stones.
    Nice steel too.
    That is the proper job!

I never did find those nails in the van , they would ve been too small for strikers anyway but I'll keep my eyes peeled for more ...

Good to hear you're getting plenty of 'play' time out there...
    Your FSK is looking good bud.

👍

One with Nature
    hello Woody,
    I dunno bro the Roman nails, forged or smiddy nails by whichever name, I'm sure if they were long enough they'd work after a session on the anvil & in their raw state make an excellent addition as a ferro rod striker.
    Regards
    David