Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early planning stage, Arctic winter camp.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    The bear paws should serve you well if you do not plan any long distance hiking in deep, fresh snow. SHould also be good for getting around camp until you have made hardened tracks by walking around :-)
    In N orway we call models like that "cabin snow shoes" i.e the ones you keep around the cabin the wear when you need to go to the shed for more fire wood.
    The chosen route in is across a lake, around 1Km a few hundred meters from the drop off point, then depending on what we find maybe the same off the lake the other side, asides from that I don't think I'll be travelling that far from camp ( hopefully ) I know there are a few different Coop Forums but struggling to find one that sell hardware, could just be the language barrier, even though I'm using Google to translate the page, I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    The chosen route in is across a lake, around 1Km a few hundred meters from the drop off point, then depending on what we find maybe the same off the lake the other side, asides from that I don't think I'll be travelling that far from camp ( hopefully ) I know there are a few different Coop Forums but struggling to find one that sell hardware, could just be the language barrier, even though I'm using Google to translate the page, I'll keep looking.

Thanks.
    These stores seldom have anything about what they sell on the home page, appart from whatever is on sale that week.
    But I have been there several times, as we go twice a year to stock up on meat, as that uis 1/3 of the price in Norway.

However I must have missed the fact that the harware department is it's own entity,
    but in the same building :-)
    That is called Coop Bygg. And "Bygg" = Build in both Norwegian and Swedish. Basicly they sell building supplies and tools.
    The Swedish version does not have a an online store, but on the Norwegian Coop Bygg, they sell a Bacho bow saw for 11£.
    Prices on hardware are approximataly the same in Norway and Sweden.

Sadly they only appear to stock brand name axes...i.e Hultafors and Fiskars, and they start at 35£.
    So you may be better off looking somewhere else. But in these small towns up here north of the arctic, choice is not always offered....

Anyway, here it is:
    https://www.google.no/maps/place/Kir...5!4d20.2252821
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

However I must have missed the fact that the harware department is it's own entity,
    but in the same building :-)
    That is called Coop Bygg. And "Bygg" = Build in both Norwegian and Swedish. Basicly they sell building supplies and tools.
    The Swedish version does not have a an online store
    https://www.google.no/maps/place/Kir...5!4d20.2252821

That will be why I can't find hardware Thanks for the Google Earth map, that will help a lot

Looked around as the area has several supermarkets and found a Clas Ohlosn just a few hundred meters down the street from COOP Forum/Bygg.
    It is located here:
    https://www.google.no/maps/@67.84668...8i6656!6m1!1e1

And here is the website: http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/

The hardware prices are more or less identical in the UK and in scandinavia. The webiste has link to the swedish and Norwegian website as well, so that you can compare.
    Their cheap bow saw looks okayish, as it is Swedish made. But the cheap axe is probably chinese, and as sharp as a tub of lard. I can have a look when we go x-mas shopping in the weekend as our local mall has a Clas Ohslon in it.

But Clas Ohslon is well worth a look see if you need a Mora Knife, as they have a very good sellection :-)

Ica Kvantum, next to Clas Ohlson is a grocery supermarket.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Brilliant help there Rune! Top man.👍

Bopdude, it'd be quite funny to wind up the lads, as you now know where to go shopping , even though you've never been there before...
    Satnav and all that.
    They'l think you're paranormal...
    😁

Thanks for the links and advise, if you don't mind having a look if you're there abouts that would be great, thanks.

Woody, they already know, lol
    Last edited by bopdude; 08-12-2016 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling

I do not like to cross over the mountain pass to Sweden in winter. If there is a storm they close to road on you, and you could sit there for days waiting for it to open. But Kirruna is just 3-4 hours drive from me.
    (Roald Amundsen)

I do not like to cross over the mountain pass to Sweden in winter. If there is a storm they close to road on you, and you could sit there for days waiting for it to open. But Kirruna is just 3-4 hours drive from me.
    Norway was an option in both the early stages and towards the end, when we found out that the buses and trains stopped running to our preferred spot, a lot of phone calls to and with one of our Swedish guys managed to sort us out.
    Last edited by bopdude; 08-12-2016 at 09:30 AM.

The only train up here runs from Narvik to Kirruna. Else yes public transportation up here is a joke.
    The weather will by a lot drier in Sweden, as most of artctic Norway has a coastal climate, we tend to get very snowy, but wet winters.
    And you do not want to be in wet snow unless you are very experienced. Everything it touches gets soaked, and it's very hard to stay dry.
    When it is very cold you do not have that problem, and most of the time you only get that dry cold in the interrior. And up here that mostly means Sweden, unless you go furteher north to Finnmark.
    The interrior of Troms is also a good bet, but again, there is only a bus a couple of times a day.
    (Roald Amundsen)

The weather will by a lot drier in Sweden, as most of artctic Norway has a coastal climate, we tend to get very snowy, but wet winters.
    And you do not want to be in wet snow unless you are very experienced. Everything it touches gets soaked, and it's very hard to stay dry.
    Now that comes as a surprise, I can understand the logic but in your many video's ( which I watch often ) it doesn't come across as wet snow, I'll have to watch some again, good excuse lol