Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early planning stage, Arctic winter camp.

That's the plan, head up the lake until we find a quiet spot, if we can, if not, it's going to be make the most of it.

OK, long overdue update, 6 Brits confirmed as going now, another 1 or 2 in the wings, a Swedish guy is planning on a couple of days with us to. So, flying into Kiruna and staying in a hostel overnight, this will give us the evening to buy supplies and sort kit etc after the flights. Train from Kiruna to Gallivare early next morning where will be jumping on a minibus to take us up to our desired camping location, or there abouts, Suorva is the chosen area. We will then spend 9 nights camping before being picked up on the morning of the 2nd of Feb, we'll be dropped off in Porjus where we will be getting a coach to Jokkmokk and camp on the campsite there for 4 nights, while there we will be taking in the Saami winter market which we are looking forward to.

Not definitive but this is the list, roughly, there may be bits missing, bits I'll swap etc

KIT LIST

Sleeping

Helsport Varanger 4-6 person tipi
    British army bivi bag
    Canadian forces cold weather sleep system good to -50
    Exped Synmat 9
    Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest SOLite
    Reflective ground sheet

Cooking

Zebra 14cm Billy,
    Frying pan, grips,
    KFS, Large folding Swedish cup, plate, bowl set, biodegradable soap, can be used on food stuffs as well, kitchen sink, microfibre drying towel. pan scrubs.
    Ti-Goat Large woodburning stove.
    Pocket woodburning stove.
    British Army machette
    Laplander folding saw
    2 or 3 knives to go into various packs / carry options
    Compass
    Head torch
    Pack torch

Food stuffs
    TBC

Wash Kit in pouch.
    Flannel, toothbrush and toothpaste, soap, moisturising hand cream, hand sanitizer, handy wipes pack, talcum powder, microfibre towel, lip balm

First aid kit, being put together

Bag 1, German army deployment bag 900x50x50
    Bag 2, British Army deploment bag 120l
    Bag 3 (possibly)
    Hand luggage, Highlander 44l

Toboggan, roll up version
    Cheap tarp to act as a cover for toboggan bags

Clothing,

2 sets Merino wool 200 weight tops and bottoms
    1 set Aldi Merino wool top and bottoms base
    1 Aldi Merino wool mid top
    1 Swedish Army wool cardigan
    Softie top and trousers
    5 pairs British army Arctic wool socks. 2 pairs merino wool socks.
    M39 woolen trousers with braces.
    US air force N1B canvas mukluks, with 3 wool felt soles, felt liners,
    Baffin Impact Boots / Selkirk Extreme Cold Weather
    Overboots, waterproof to fit over mukluks if needed
    British army Gortex lined mittens with inners, Welding gauntlets, Swedish army leather mittens with British army wool inners x 2 pairs, wool wristties
    Leather work gloves ?
    Contact gloves
    1 pair Skytec Argon
    Tent boots,
    British army balaclava
    Ray Mears possum beanie
    Fur trapper hat with face mask
    Wool head over
    Possum scarf
    Wool duffle coat
    Windproof smock
    British Army whites
    Mothership coat
    Tent boots

Electronics
    Camera.
    Batteries.
    Samsung Note 4
    Charger for camera and phone.
    Spare SD cards

2 Insulated flasks
    Sewing kit
    Firesteels
    Lighters ( bought out there )

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Hey bopdude, it's looking surprisingly trim compared to the other lad (Lanny?) , Good job.
    I'd leave the kitchen sink though 😁

I noticed you mention batteries, I just bought a nice bit of kit over on evilbay , for a reasonable price for what it does.
    It started the van twice already in the cold weather and it's got USB socket to charge your electronics.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302065343258

Not sure if it would perform OK in the minus temperatures, but I thought I'd share anyways...

No affiliation etc.

ATB
    👍

Alan! You forgot salt! Take a large bag to sprinkle in case it's a bit slippy!
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Yeah he has a lot of kit, I'm looking at one of these chragers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1222293374...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    The kitchen sink is a must

M@ I don't think they do bags big enough lol

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    They look good, but won't start a 5ltr engine... 😀
    Upside is you can keep it in your pocket to keep it warm.
    It's all about what you need out of it.
    From what Wayland was saying in a different thread , it seems most batteries will not work very well at those temperatures, unless you keep them close to your body...
    Hope you manage to take some good pics bud, so we can voyage vicariously through you...😁

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    They look good, but won't start a 5ltr engine... ��
    Upside is you can keep it in your pocket to keep it warm.
    It's all about what you need out of it.
    From what Wayland was saying in a different thread , it seems most batteries will not work very well at those temperatures, unless you keep them close to your body...
    Hope you manage to take some good pics bud, so we can voyage vicariously through you...��
    Yeah cold weather will drain a battery hence the need to recharge things, I was looking at the powerpot
    but a bit pricy but also found the MiniO at a third of the price but it's not a pot ????? So with that and spare batteries power shouldn't be a problem ? Wayland is a top bloke at photography, knows his way around the cold white stuff so I read all his gear repeatedly, going to be meeting him and his family at Jokkmokk campsite.

Good list iuf a bit heavy but you have toboigans so you're good.. but ditch the folding saw, it will be near useless. You will neeed nothing short of a full sized bow saw and and axe to process enough wood if you are going to do anything beyond heating a brew. Also where is your skis or snow shoes?

Coop Forum is the huge supermarket in Kirruna, and you should be able to find a cheap axe and bow saw either there, or in other nearby outlets. Coop is open from 7am to 10pm
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 07-12-2016 at 04:15 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Good list iuf a bit heavy but you have toboigans so you're good.. but ditch the folding saw, it will be near useless. You will neeed nothing short of a full sized bow saw and and axe to process enough wood if you are going to do anything beyond heating a brew. Also where is your skis or snow shoes?

Coop Forum is the huge supermarket in Kirruna, and you should be able to find a cheap axe and bow saw either there, or in other nearby outlets. Coop is open from 7am to 10pm
    Ah yes, sorry, snow shoes will be British Army bear paws, thanks for the info about the Coop forum, I'll have a look see, could be a life saver

The bear paws should serve you well if you do not plan any long distance hiking in deep, fresh snow. SHould also be good for getting around camp until you have made hardened tracks by walking around :-)
    In N orway we call models like that "cabin snow shoes" i.e the ones you keep around the cabin the wear when you need to go to the shed for more fire wood.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum