Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free flint for whoever wants it!

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    to the forum Tom. I've received some flint nodules from Woody & they're awesome best of Wiltshire flint. I haven't been to Carmarthenshire for a wee while, I've got some friends who live down there. I've spent sometime travelling & walking around the area, it's a lovely part of South Wales BTW. forum member "Beermaker" made me a few awesome file steel strikers. I've used these since whilst teaching Bushcraft skills they shew sparks no problem in conjunction with flint & can be used as ferro rod strikers too.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by tomfury View Post
    Mornin' Woody
    A big thank you from me for your most generous offer and what a great idea. I would love to take up your offer and will be guided by your recommendations as to sizes. It would be very interesting to see flint in its different colours if possible as you describe. Several pieces would be fine, just let me know the cost. As you may guess, I am a newcomer to anything flinty, not having used it before so any advice is welcomed. I have a small gas forge and some old files and intend to make firesteel strikers! What say you?
    Tom.

Hobo
    Hi David

Thanks very much for your warm welcome. Looking forward to receiving some from him. In the 1980's I visited many parts of Wiltshire and surrounding English and welsh counties while driving in four wheel drive off road events but was not into bush craft at all then. So missed out on tons of flint no doubt although I drove over and through tons of it as well! Although I've live in carms for last 8 yrs i'm a scouse immigrant living and fishing the teifi valley near llandysul-where the canoe centre is. Theres a local BC group near me run by John Fenna that i'm involved in a bit but, as always we learn every day in every way and this site is no exception.

cheers

Tom.

Hobo
    Hi Woody

Thanks again, all very interesting. I agree. It is extremely important that all these skills and more are retained, practised and never forgotten. There may come a day when they are vital for humanity or for an individual. Long live bush crafting and bush crafters mate!!

Cheers

Tom.

Woody could i take you up on your very kind offer. I'm happy to have whatever flint you can offer as there's none hereabouts! I'm happy to cover postage. I'll PM you my address.
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcrusher View Post
    Woody could i take you up on your very kind offer. I'm happy to have whatever flint you can offer as there's none hereabouts! I'm happy to cover postage. I'll PM you my address.
    No worries Thumbcrusher.
    I'll collect a load this weekend and get it posted asap.
    It'll probably be after the bank holiday though...postage that is.

One with Nature
    hello Tom,
    Awesome countryside in Carmarthenshire. I have a good idea where you are. A Scouser you'll fit in well there "soft lad" LMAO They're good people down there. Well enjoy your flint when it arrives worth every penny in postage..
    Regards
    David

Hi David
    Thanks very much for your warm welcome. Looking forward to receiving some from him. In the 1980's I visited many parts of Wiltshire and surrounding English and welsh counties while driving in four wheel drive off road events but was not into bush craft at all then. So missed out on tons of flint no doubt although I drove over and through tons of it as well! Although I've live in carms for last 8 yrs i'm a scouse immigrant living and fishing the teifi valley near llandysul-where the canoe centre is. Theres a local BC group near me run by John Fenna that i'm involved in a bit but, as always we learn every day in every way and this site is no exception.
    cheers
    Tom.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    David-JAFO :
    That was a good idea.
    Quite a few people interested !!!
    Well done

Last edited by Woody; 28-04-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello Tom,
    Awesome countryside in Carmarthenshire. I have a good idea where you are. A Scouser you'll fit in well there "soft lad" LMAO They're good people down there. Well enjoy your flint when it arrives worth every penny in postage..
    Regards
    David

cheers ta la

Tom. (calm down, calm down-cos de do do duvets der don't don't dee doh? OH I de do.)

One with Nature
    hello,
    Tom.. ROFLMAO. singing "Ferry across the Mersey.."
    Regards
    David

cheers ta la Tom. (calm down, calm down-cos de do do duvets der don't don't dee doh? OH I de do.)

Hobo
    Gerry Marsden isn't a scouser. He's from Birkenhead. I'm a scouser from Garston.(three miles from the lennon abode.) As for music, I play guitar, proper guitar as in acoustic, loud in yer face, sing up or bugger off guitar. And I sing and play (in tune-instrument and voice) most of the worlds best groups' songs. Gerry puddle jumper Marsden can't do that to save his best(only)suit.

cheers bro

Tom.