Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free flint for whoever wants it!

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle

Free flint for whoever wants it!

I am selling this item as a private seller and this sale is in no way the responsibility of NaturalBushcraft.co.uk or any of its moderators. I promise to use this area to sell unwanted kit, not to repeatedly list similar items in the pursuit of profit.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a area abundant with chalk and flint.

As geology changes so much from county to county , and with so many people honing their primitive skills as part of their bushcraft journey,these are sometimes scarce...
    (
    A friend recommended I could post this thread as a way of keeping the forum generosity karma going, as he just gifted me and my son with lots of kit and wants nothing in return....)

If anyone is seeking flint but finding it difficult or too pricey , do let me know and I'll try my best to help.
    I will offer as much flint for free as you want but within reason , as obviously I don't want to drain the county of its flint... lol... And to keep postage costs down.
    Let me know what size nodules , and I'll do my best to find the required shapes/sizes etc.
    The majority of the flint around here is dark grey to black , but I have seen some green and even brown stuff.

Feel free to PM me or just drop a line on here...

Regards

Woody

UPDATE:
    I DIDN'T REALISE HOW POPULAR THIS OFFER WOULD BECOME....
    I HAVE ENOUGH REQUESTS FOR NOW, I CAN ONLY FIND SO MANY SUITABLE PIECES AT A TIME...
    HAVING LITTLE SPARE TIME DOESNT HELP EITHER.

I WILL HONOUR ALL THE REQUESTS SO FAR, BUT ANY FURTHER REQUESTS WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL NEXT TIME.

I WILL KEEP THIS GOING, AND ILL START TAKING REQUESTS AGAIN AFTER THIS FIRST LOT.

WATCH THIS SPACE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING.

THANK YOU
    Last edited by Woody; 30-04-2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Disclaimer! Sorry forgot to put it in...

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Awesome Woody. This flint is the best from Wiltshire. I have in my possession some large nodules traded with Woody & Woody (junior) & it shews sparks no problem. Image of nodules alongside my Wolf Creek Forge (Lisa West) horses head steel striker.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	13637
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 27-04-2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added photo

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Bump..
    Regards
    David

awesome offer... great stuff buddy

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Bump..Regards
    David
    Thanks for the bump and pic.
    Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    awesome offer... great stuff buddy
    Thanks bud

Hobo
    Mornin' Woody

A big thank you from me for your most generous offer and what a great idea. I would love to take up your offer and will be guided by your recommendations as to sizes. It would be very interesting to see flint in its different colours if possible as you describe. Several pieces would be fine, just let me know the cost. As you may guess, I am a newcomer to anything flinty, not having used it before so any advice is welcomed. I have a small gas forge and some old files and intend to make firesteel strikers! What say you?

Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfury View Post
    Mornin' Woody

A big thank you from me for your most generous offer and what a great idea. I would love to take up your offer and will be guided by your recommendations as to sizes. It would be very interesting to see flint in its different colours if possible as you describe. Several pieces would be fine, just let me know the cost. As you may guess, I am a newcomer to anything flinty, not having used it before so any advice is welcomed. I have a small gas forge and some old files and intend to make firesteel strikers! What say you?

Tom.

Good morning Tom.
    I say yay!

No worries, PM me your address and I'll source out various bits of different colours and sizes at the weekend and post them out to you as soon as the box is full.

Flint will shew out sparks if it's stricken on its sharp edge with a good quality steel.

There's more folk on here that would be able to steer you in the right direction , on forging your own steel strikers.
    I think the steel is better if rich in carbon, but how you go about doing that , is above my level of knowledge.
    Just ask the question to the forum , lots of people will be keen to help you with that!

Here are a few links for more info on flint , knapping and fire striking....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0MaL89y5kIg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wtfCj6oPh2s

http://www.eseeknives.com/flint-and-steel.pdf

I'll be in touch as soon as I got enough to send you...
    Thank you

Regards

Hobo
    Hi Woody

Thanks for the links to vids and pdf-watched them-all very interesting-caveman is a real character isn't he? Can hardly wait to get knapping and striking-my forge is heating up as I type!!!

cheers

Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfury View Post
    Hi Woody

Thanks for the links to vids and pdf-watched them-all very interesting-caveman is a real character isn't he? Can hardly wait to get knapping and striking-my forge is heating up as I type!!!

cheers

Tom.
    Hi , yep.
    Pm sent.

That guy is called Will Lord and he is an expert in ancient technology.
    His website explains more.
    http://www.will-lord.co.uk/will-lord-about.html

His dad is John Lord , who worked with National Heritage, ran the Ray Mears course on primitive technology + ancient skills and such.

http://www.flintknapping.co.uk/aboutus.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsGx1bX5Xw4

This family has pretty much, single handedly, resurrected these skills in Britain, and enabled the opportunity for us to learn from them...
    Scholars , Archaeology, Anthropology all turn to these guys when it comes to flint and ancient skills.

Very interesting!