Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning skills

Learning skills

Over the last four weeks I have been learning some of the aspects of bush craft here is what I have learnt so far.
    Fire lighting with a ferro rod on different types of tinder also managed to get fires going in the wind
    Knots learnt about six knots that I can now tie in my sleep
    Cooking over a open fire and also fire embers
    Refreshing my map reading skills
    Knife sharpening still improving day by day
    I was a trained in first aid when I was working but since being medically retired in 2010 that has lapsed but the Mr`s is a cardiac intensive care nurse so she going through things with me
    Learning leather craft

so any suggestions and advice on any other skills that I could learn ?

I would like to take up wood carving so saving for a set of carving chisels .

Gerry

Go fishing, learn different ways of processing and preserving your catch.
    Get a book on edible plants, and go find them. Learn where they grow in your area. Pick berries and mushrooms and learn how to preserve them.
    etc..
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Cheers for that idea about wild edibles got the fishing sorted been fishing since the age of 4 and I am now 49 done sea,course and game fishing but only got course gear now as I can use disabled pegs but cant at the moment until I see my spinal surgeon to see if I need a fourth operation.

Natural shelter building would be a good one.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Gerry The main skills finding Shelter, Water, Food, & making Fire. I've caught a few of them lovely bars of silver Welsh Salmon there's a Welsh word for these is it Sewyn? (spelling) down on some of them streams that run through the valleys & the river Loughor.
    Regards
    David

I would arrgue that navigation may be a more important skill than for example finding food. I for certainly plan to go home before i am out of food...hehe
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    Cheers for that idea about wild edibles got the fishing sorted been fishing since the age of 4 and I am now 49 done sea,course and game fishing but only got course gear now as I can use disabled pegs but cant at the moment until I see my spinal surgeon to see if I need a fourth operation.
    Yes but what do you know about drying or salting fish to make it last, and what is your recipee for fish cakes like?
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I would arrgue that navigation may be a more important skill than for example finding food. I for certainly plan to go home before i am out of food...hehe
    I take your point Rune, but it's nice to be able to snack on things whilst walking home
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

As a purely fun excercise id say learn to twist cordage. I'm busy doing so at the min

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    All of the above really, but as FishyFolk said, I would still emphasise the learning of:

where ,when and what to forage in yout different environments .

Not just learning about the edibles but also plants for other purposes, like medicine , cordage and/or building materials and so on...
    That is probably my favourite subject of all...

Richard Mabey has written some really great books on the subject ...
    "Plants with purpose" and "Food for free" (Collins gem) , to mention just a few, relevant to the UK.

Hope it helps...
    Last edited by Woody; 28-04-2016 at 05:42 AM.