Thread: fire distance advice

fire distance advice

Looking for a bit of advice when you have a camp fire what sort of distance should the fire be away from the tarp ,worried about hot spots burning small holes in my tarp .

Cheers Gerry

Just my 2 cents worth here so if I was you I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
    When I set up camp there's a few things to factor in as to how close the fire will be. Wind speed and direction plus the ambient humidity that has a lot to do with how long an ember will burn once released from the fire. I used to go with 6-8 feet from the tarp and have the tarp up wind from the fire, keeps smoke out of the tarp and embers don't usually go against the wind.

One thing I like about my Firebox is that it gives a great fire and reduces embers on the wind
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.

Just steer clear of the bushcrafters who seem intent on poking the bloody fire...thats mainly when you get tarp/tent damage.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Depends what kind of wood I am burning. Spruce should be classed as fire works, while birch burns with a very calm flame. Anyway, I tend to keep it 5-6 meters away, from my sleeping area, and just use a cheap builders tarp to cover where I sit if it's rainy or windy...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelBrit View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth here so if I was you I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
    When I set up camp there's a few things to factor in as to how close the fire will be. Wind speed and direction plus the ambient humidity that has a lot to do with how long an ember will burn once released from the fire. I used to go with 6-8 feet from the tarp and have the tarp up wind from the fire, keeps smoke out of the tarp and embers don't usually go against the wind.

One thing I like about my Firebox is that it gives a great fire and reduces embers on the wind
    Ditto the above, I also use a fire box and have been for years and I haven't burnt a hole in my tarp yet.
    Here is an example of my fire and tarp.

2 ,
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Just steer clear of the bushcrafters who seem intent on poking the bloody fire...thats mainly when you get tarp/tent damage.
    Another reason I liked, and still do, to solo camp.
    Last edited by TarHeelBrit; 13-04-2016 at 07:13 PM.
    Sent via wood pigeon from the Devon woods.

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    I could be classed as a fair weather wild camper so I haven't had to make a fire really close to a tarp for warmth overnight. 3-4 metres sounds about right to be safe but as usual there are so many variables. I regularly camp under pine and spruce and as Fishyfolk mentions that can lead to fireworks... I do camp a fair bit and have never had issues with embers myself.
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

The beauty of tent camping is that you don't need a fire to keep warm
    Richard
    South Wales UK

I've had small fires very close to, and even under tarps before. as long as the tarp is high and the fire is low I don't see an issue. does depend on the wood though. and I don't sleep under a tarp with a fire under it.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk