Thread: Hello from North Yorkshire

Hobo

Smile Hello from North Yorkshire

Hi, I finally decided to join a bushcraft forum, and I liked the personal look of this one. Thanks, Ashley, for making this resource available.

I've not really done any of the things I consider proper bushcraft yet, but I started doing a bit of solo wild camping in a tent a few years ago, and I'd like to learn more. I've wild camped a lot less often than I intended or would like, and with a lot more challenges and "failures" than I expected (like getting exhausted and in pain from carrying a heavy pack or cycling too far and calling for a lift home!). I've averaged about one trip a year, staying one night on the moors or in woods. My first actual wild camp was dreadful. My stove broke and was useless so I had to have a cold supper of nuts and rehydrated milk, the weather turned really nasty - a gale and torrential rain all night and I was just in a little dip in the otherwise flat moor - my Vango ultralite was one of those single skin jobs that showered me with cold condensation all night, and I was scared and hardly slept. I would like to challenge myself a lot more: winter camping, wilder camping (Scotland), and staying out for longer. I use a Terra Nova Competition now - don't fancy hammocks or bivvy bags much!

I'm not much into wild camping with other people, although I have gone with a mate a couple of times and wouldn't write off meeting up with one or two quiet types. It's a pity we can't wild camp more easily in England, but I've got used to that, finding what I hope is an acceptable balance between cheeky stealth camping and respecting land ownership. It's amazing how close you can be to people or roads and paths without anyone knowing. After nearly killing my 50-something self carrying a pack the first time I went out, I'm pretty obsessive about light-weight equipment, but I like to make a lot of it myself rather than buying expensive kit, and I am a lot fitter now than I was then.

Hope to have some good chats with folks here and maybe join some courses.
    treehouse

welcome to the forum mate, im also from north yorkshire.. although currently in process of re-locating to west yorkshire... stick around on here.. lots of good kit reviews etc, including lots of light weight kit.

id suggest you get your kit down to exactly how you want it, and use it lots and lots of times before winter camping and camping further afield is tried.. at least then you will be 100% used to your gear and knowledge and know both can be relied on. - sounds like your already in the process of doing that however

look forward to hearing about your camps and views on kit in the future bud also would be cool to see some of the DIY kit you have made/make in the future

Shepherd

Hobo
    Hi shepherd, thanks for that advice. I won't go on a long jaunt in the wilderness without enough prep...probably!

Look forward to sharing some of my kit and trips. Cheers, t.

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Welcome treehouse, I also live in north Yorkshire and just do a bit of wild camping - I am far from a bushcraft expert. I would love to do more but I am a carer for elderly relatives and can't get out anywhere near as much as I would like. Does sound like you have had some bad experiences (I really haven't... so far... more luck than judgement maybe?) and it's great that you are still enthusiastic. Don't discount the tarp/bivvy or hammock/tarp - both options add a lot to the experience.

Take care
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

Welcome to the community

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    I couldn't help chuckling at your disastrous night out. I bet you learned a few lessons that night.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    to the NBCUK community.
    Regards
    David

Hello and welcome,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Hobo
    Thanks for the welcome messages, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Silkhi View Post
    Welcome treehouse, I also live in north Yorkshire and just do a bit of wild camping - I am far from a bushcraft expert. I would love to do more but I am a carer for elderly relatives and can't get out anywhere near as much as I would like.
    Pity you can't get out more, but sometimes we make better use of free time if we don't have much of it. I have more than most and waste too much.

Don't discount the tarp/bivvy or hammock/tarp - both options add a lot to the experience.
    I think the curve of a hammock would give me a very bad night's sleep...even worse than fitting myself round stones and roots! I should probably man up and try a bivvy sometime, but I like the personal space a tent gives me free from creepy crawlies, dry and protected from the wind. I just don't trust that a tarp will keep you as cosy when the rain's coming down sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum.
    I couldn't help chuckling at your disastrous night out. I bet you learned a few lessons that night.
    Glad that amused you - I see the funny side of it now too! That's interesting about learning a few lessons - I hadn't really thought about what I learned. Obviously there was 1) Check the weather forecast, idiot. I need to think more about different stove/cooking options. But the biggest lesson was about my psychology. I had no idea I'd be so scared. I've read a few accounts of similar experiences so I don't feel quite such a wimp about it now! There's a level at which we just react instinctively, like an animal, I reckon. I assessed the dangers and they were minimal. There probably isn't an escaped puma on Pately Moor. If the farmer finds me he will probably ask questions first, not just shoot me. I am a little over a mile from a small town. I even have a phone signal. Etc.

If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?