Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show us your stove(s)

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    It's a home-made one. Google 'Nimblewill Nomad stove' and you can download the plans for free.
    I made mine from stainless steel (a local sheet metal worker gave me some off cuts for free) so it doesn't rust (but was a right sod cutting all that stainless) and I made mine a bit bigger (mainly wider) than the plans. That's the beauty of making your own - you can tailor it to your own needs.

As an addendum I would say that, though I am pleased to have made it, I wouldn't do it again. Cutting that stainless really was a chore (and making it from mild steel seems daft to me - it'll rust like buggery after the first burn). But I made mine some time ago, before I'd heard of the Honey Stove. If I was looking for such a thing today then I'd buy the Honey Stove, hands down. People say the Honey Stove is difficult to put together. That's nonsense. A friend has one and it's just as easy/difficult to put together as the Nimblewill Nomad stove. They're both about slotting bits of thin steel together. So unless you have sausages for fingers and your idea of finesse is hitting everything with a big hammer I'd buy myself a Honey Stove.
    Thank you Humakt, that is really helpful.

A few of mine

Certainly look at the Trangia system, the 25 is the bigger set for a family, the 27 the smaller set for two people.

I still like the classic brass paraffin stoves

Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    A few of mine

Certainly look at the Trangia system, the 25 is the bigger set for a family, the 27 the smaller set for two people.
    Sorry about that, I always get numbers confused :-)

I have corrected my post...

An lovely stoves :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Sorry about that, I always get numbers confused :-)

I have corrected my post...

An lovely stoves :-)
    Got that , thank you!!!

I did figure it out , but what I'm struggling with , is the idea that they don't do the trangia 25 in stainless ( or do they?)
    just aluminium, which is a bit annoying as some veggies, like spinach and kale taste a bit funny if cooked in aluminium...( my boy refuses to eat meat...and we are all pretty much vegetarian!!!) plus there is the aluminium carcinogen question etc..
    So I'm looking into alternative (stainless steel = cheaper+heavy. VS titanium= lite+expensive)

Any more ideas are welcome and very appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Got that , thank you!!!

I did figure it out , but what I'm struggling with , is the idea that they don't do the trangia 25 in stainless ( or do they?)
    just aluminium, which is a bit annoying as some veggies, like spinach and kale taste a bit funny if cooked in aluminium...( my boy refuses to eat meat...and we are all pretty much vegetarian!!!) plus there is the aluminium carcinogen question etc..
    So I'm looking into alternative (stainless steel = cheaper+heavy. VS titanium= lite+expensive)

Any more ideas are welcome and very appreciated.
    I looked at what pots I actually used in the Trangia set. And that was the large cooking pot, the kettle and the frying pan.

Then I purchased a GSi stainless tea kettle and a 1600ml MSR Stowaway cooking pot + a non stick camp fire frying pan.

The GSI kettle will jsut barely nest in the MSR sagull if put the lid of the GSI gettle upside down. And leaves you spave for putting som goodies like ta bags, sugar, spices etc inside the pot.
    The frying pan don,t nest, but it is small and light, so no problem. You can also put a trangia burner in the tea kettle. Get yourself a collpasible wind shield and you are all set.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I looked at what pots I actually used in the Trangia set. And that was the large cooking pot, the kettle and the frying pan.

Then I purchased a GSi stainless tea kettle and a 1600ml MSR Stowaway cooking pot + a non stick camp fire frying pan.

The GSI kettle will jsut barely nest in the MSR sagull if put the lid of the GSI gettle upside down. And leaves you spave for putting som goodies like ta bags, sugar, spices etc inside the pot.
    The frying pan don,t nest, but it is small and light, so no problem. You can also put a trangia burner in the tea kettle. Get yourself a collpasible wind shield and you are all set.
    Yep, awesome. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Yep, awesome. Thanks
    Oh...the fryin pan from a trangia set, will nest well under the MSR pot. Just get the non stick version...but do not take my word for it, as I have not checked that it will actually work.
    But will do once I get my socks on and I am out in the shed.

Else taking the lad ice fishing on a lake today, arctic charr for dinner, and I have the perfect frying pan for it :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Thank you for all the advice, it is really appreciated.
    I'll post my set up as soon as I get it...

Wow, fishing in the Arctic. lucky you and lucky lad.
    I'm strangely attracted to the artic landscape, not sure why... Previous life perhaps?
    Whilst most people dream of moving somewhere hot, like Bahamas or something, I instead wish for a lottery win so I can buy a piece of land up in the boreal forest ( any of the continents) , build a log cabin and live off the land.
    One can just dream, realistically, I'll probably just buy a small woodland around Scotland or North Wales and do it there instead...
    Still a dream, but managing expectations....
    ...sorry , off the subject, happy fishing sir.
    Show us your catch...

I've gone off the idea of the Arctic, my health could not cope, however...when the wife retires later this year we'll be spending three months a year on Gran Canaria. In the words of 'Oddball' I'll be drinking wine, eating cheese and soaking up some rays
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    I've gone off the idea of the Arctic, my health could not cope, however...when the wife retires later this year we'll be spending three months a year on Gran Canaria. In the words of 'Oddball' I'll be drinking wine, eating cheese and soaking up some rays
    We have a house in Thailand, the wife is there right now, sp me are getting in some dad and lad time :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)