Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show us your stove(s)

You could also get an extra trangia meths burner from ebay to keep permanently with your ikea stove. That way, when you need to heat up two things at the same time, you have two stoves :-)

And as i said on top...the day may come when a man has enough stoves... but it is not THIS day!
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    You could also get an extra trangia meths burner from ebay to keep permanently with your ikea stove. That way, when you need to heat up two things at the same time, you have two stoves :-)

And as i said on top...the day may come when a man has enough stoves... but it is not THIS day!
    Yep. I had already thought of that and I also came across this article ,maybe worth considering for the solo adventures...

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....clikstand.html

Not sure about clickstand but there are plenty of clones and other similar stands....

In this video I use the cook stand I got for mine, with a small tea kettle I have. As you can see meths stove are no problem in winter conditions. What I do is to dip a stick in the fuel, and light that,
    then I just drop the burning stick directly in the fuel. When it gets hot enough, it will light :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzjqRr47NuQ
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Like everyone else I have more than one stove, but not quite the magpie as others.
    All options covered though...

Gas:

Meths:

Wood burner:

And not forgetting nature's own stove:

'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Hi FF, while you're on the subject, what you recommend as a cold weather back up, assuming that all / most of the cooking was done on wood burning stove.

By cold, I mean Northern Sweden in January.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    Hi FF, while you're on the subject, what you recommend as a cold weather back up, assuming that all / most of the cooking was done on wood burning stove.

By cold, I mean Northern Sweden in January.

Thanks.
    Depends how you will move. But a multifuel stove that can burn petrol (white gas) or parrafine would be the best choice. Personally I preffer to use parrafine as fuel as it is simply safer if you have a leak as it is not as volatile. I actually use parrafine based charcoal starter as fuel. Basically beaouse it's cheap, burns clean and and you find it in every supermarket year round up here.

For a specific stove I would go with an Optimus 111 type stove or one of the modern Omnifuel Primus that can burn both parafine, petrol and diesel, or an Optimus Nova +.
    But if you need to purchase, make sure you know the inns and outs of it before you go. Anyway, the Omnifuel and the Nova tops all tests here in Norway, and are very popular ammong outdoors people for winter use.

One thing is for sure. Leave your butane stoves at home...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Nice, Humakt :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Depends how you will move. But a multifuel stove that can burn petrol (white gas) or parrafine would be the best choice. Personally I preffer to use parrafine as fuel as it is simply safer if you have a leak as it is not as volatile. I actually use parrafine based charcoal starter as fuel. Basically beaouse it's cheap, burns clean and and you find it in every supermarket year round up here.

For a specific stove I would go with an Optimus 111 type stove or one of the modern Omnifuel Primus that can burn both parafine, petrol and diesel, or an Optimus Nova +.
    But if you need to purchase, make sure you know the inns and outs of it before you go. Anyway, the Omnifuel and the Nova tops all tests here in Norway, and are very popular ammong outdoors people for winter use.

One thing is for sure. Leave your butane stoves at home...
    Thaks for the in depth pointers, I'll take a look at them

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Like everyone else I have more than one stove, but not quite the magpie as others.
    All options covered though...

Gas:

Meths:

Wood burner:

And not forgetting nature's own stove:

Hello, what wood burner is that please?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Hello, what wood burner is that please?
    Cheers
    It's a home-made one. Google 'Nimblewill Nomad stove' and you can download the plans for free.
    I made mine from stainless steel (a local sheet metal worker gave me some off cuts for free) so it doesn't rust (but was a right sod cutting all that stainless) and I made mine a bit bigger (mainly wider) than the plans. That's the beauty of making your own - you can tailor it to your own needs.

As an addendum I would say that, though I am pleased to have made it, I wouldn't do it again. Cutting that stainless really was a chore (and making it from mild steel seems daft to me - it'll rust like buggery after the first burn). But I made mine some time ago, before I'd heard of the Honey Stove. If I was looking for such a thing today then I'd buy the Honey Stove, hands down. People say the Honey Stove is difficult to put together. That's nonsense. A friend has one and it's just as easy/difficult to put together as the Nimblewill Nomad stove. They're both about slotting bits of thin steel together. So unless you have sausages for fingers and your idea of finesse is hitting everything with a big hammer I'd buy myself a Honey Stove.
    Last edited by Humakt; 01-04-2016 at 05:55 PM.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/