Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show us your stove(s)

Lucky man Rune but I suspect the humidity would clash with my lungs

Back on track a bit and not aimed at particular members.

I've owned and used pots and pans made from different metals ranging from cast iron to Titanium. For heat spread/even cooking aluminium is the best, stainless steel less so, cast iron even less and Titanium comes out tops if you like your food burned. My first pan set was a pair of army mess tins, then moved on to 'Bulldog' mess set, both aluminium. The aluminium Trangia pans are great and I've yet to melt one when using on a fire or multifuel stove. I met a couple of 'bushcrafters' who moaned about food sticking but then having seen these two cook on a weekend camp...lets just say they can't cook lol.

If you don't cook much at home at least practice making camp food with your setup at home both stove and pan set.

Another good pan to use are steel Paella pans, you can get a good sized one for around a tenner off ebay and they are easier to 'season' than cast iron and a lot lighter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3598.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	13581

Stainless steel or aluminium pots can make good ovens on top of a stove or hot embers

Name:	IMG_0266 (Custom) (Custom).JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	13582
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    This looks delicious, now I know this is not a cooking forum but fancy sharing the recipe for this one??? Good tip on the paella pans... Cheers

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Bump! I'm sorry I highjacked this thread from the word go.
    To put it right I've copied the original post by the very helpful Mr ."fishy folk" , so we can all get back on track.
    Apologies , I'm kind of new to this forum stuff...
    Here goes:

SHOW US YOUR STOVE

A day may come when a man has enough stoves...
    but it is not THIS day!!

From left to right...and some of these are really cheap.

A no brand knock off of a jet boil, a no brand wood gas stove ordered from china, two Optimus 111T, Go Systems multiflex stove and behind it a 3£ butane stove from Ebay, next to it another purchase from ebay with a converter for the gas bottle (works but not very safe), Trangia 27, and a no brand trangia like cook set next to it, and my trusted solo cook kit with a trangia like burner. ...

None of these cost me more than 20£ except the jet boil knock off, that was 30£ and not worth it...it works fine, just not worth paying that much for something that boils water...
    Last edited by Woody; 08-04-2016 at 09:55 AM.

Hobo

Name:	2015-09-16 07.56.48.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	13593

Homemade (nightmare). £3 from Morrisons. Drink can kettle fits in the hole in the top. Boils pretty quick. I like to just use twigs etc. and maybe some charcoal.

My new toy an Ezy Stove (Rocket Stove) C/W cheese burgers
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Sorry about that, I always get numbers confused :-)

I have corrected my post...

An lovely stoves :-)
    Here is one for you, a British Army No12 stove, designed to burn diesel or paraffin/kerosene, the control spindle and built in cleaning needle are standard Optimus parts...seen here with a little heater unit.

Name:	20160702_113717.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	13736
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Alone in the Wilderness
    Hi Chaps,
    I have a few stoves, wood burning, along with kero and white gas (petrol) models.
    However, my choice when out and about, would be my Russian army Optimus 8R clone, dated from around 1990's.

Name:	IMAG0219.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	13768

Name:	IMAG0220.jpg 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	13769

Packs up small, runs on petrol or Aspen 4, with minimal moving parts. Very easy to prime with either methy in the traditional way (or perhaps wood chips etc) or using fuel from the tank. Very good flame control and works in all weathers. One advantage here is that it is self-pressurising, so no flare-ups and has a built in self-cleaning needle for the jet. The spec states it boils 1 litre of water in around seven mins, but this one does it a lot quicker.
    The best thing was the cost of 15 euros and another 15 euros for post and packing from Portugal. For a new, unused petrol stove, it is pretty good.
    For anyone wanting to purchase such a stove, then here is the link. Payment via Paypal.

https://olx.pt/anuncio/foges-a-gasol...s-IDuzZOd.html

Here are some flame shots.

Name:	IMAG0223.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	13766

Name:	IMAG0224.jpg 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	13767

The point is, whatever the weather (wet wood and in the snow), with a little fuel this will always work and will work well. I have done serious cooking on this, not just stew.

Happy days chaps.
    Last edited by C-Dog; 21-08-2016 at 05:38 PM.

They are a good stove, I bought a job lot from Germany in 2005 for €17 each delivered !!!!! Known as 'R8' by stove collectors.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Hi Chaps,
    I have a few stoves, wood burning, along with kero and white gas (petrol) models.
    However, my choice when out and about, would be my Russian army Optimus 8R clone, dated from around 1990's.

Name:	IMAG0219.jpg 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	13768

Name:	IMAG0220.jpg 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	13769

Packs up small, runs on petrol or Aspen 4, with minimal moving parts. Very easy to prime with either methy in the traditional way (or perhaps wood chips etc) or using fuel from the tank. Very good flame control and works in all weathers. One advantage here is that it is self-pressurising, so no flare-ups and has a built in self-cleaning needle for the jet. The spec states it boils 1 litre of water in around seven mins, but this one does it a lot quicker.
    The best thing was the cost of 15 euros and another 15 euros for post and packing from Portugal. For a new, unused petrol stove, it is pretty good.
    For anyone wanting to purchase such a stove, then here is the link. Payment via Paypal.

https://olx.pt/anuncio/foges-a-gasol...s-IDuzZOd.html

Here are some flame shots.

Name:	IMAG0223.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	13766

Name:	IMAG0224.jpg 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	13767

The point is, whatever the weather (wet wood and in the snow), with a little fuel this will always work and will work well. I have done serious cooking on this, not just stew.

Happy days chaps.
    *droooooool"
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One for you FF, fifty years old, fuel in it from from 2010 and it lit first time

Name:	20160904_131052.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	13770
    Richard
    South Wales UK