Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show us your stove(s)

Show us your stove(s)

A day may come when a man has enough stoves...
    but it is not THIS day!!

From left to right...and some of these are really cheap.

A no brand knock off of a jet boil, a no brand wood gas stove ordered from china, two Optimus 111T, Go Systems multiflex stove and behind it a 3£ butane stove from Ebay, next to it another purchase from ebay with a converter for the gas bottle (works but not very safe), Trangia 27, and a no brand trangia like cook set next to it, and my trusted solo cook kit with a trangia like burner. ...

None of these cost me more than 20£ except the jet boil knock off, that was 30£ and not worth it...it works fine, just not worth paying that much for something that boils water...
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 31-03-2016 at 07:35 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Hello sir, now that's quite a collection there... Sounds like you would be the perfect person to give me some advice... I'm in the market for a cooking system, pans and all but I'm overwhelmed with choice, quantity etc. So maybe you can help me make a informed decision...

I need something suited for 2adults+2kids , not too expensive and that hopefully packs small and light ( holy grail right?) ...

...and also a solo cooking system just for me, versatile ( multifuel?...or not?) , light+small, and that will work in cold, windy conditions, preferably where it all fits in the pans etc.
    I like this one :
    http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/stove_use.html
    Do think this is good?
    Maybe I should make one huh.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance

Maybe there's one system that will scale up/down and serve the family and/or solo trip. Wow now that would be cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Maybe there's one system that will scale up/down and serve the family and/or solo trip. Wow now that would be cool...
    What you need for the family is a trangia 25. It is kind of bulky, but relatively light weight. And the good news is that nowhere is it written in stone that you always have to carry the whole set.
    ANyway, it will give you a frying pan, two casseroles and a tea pot, with a nice combined cook stand and wind screen. They are a bit pricey, but there are many cheaper knock offs. I got mine used in a charity shop for 4£.

What really makes it bulky though, is the cook stand. It is an excellent piece of the kit and I recomend using it as it is very steady and does the job very well. But if you only need to bring the small pot or the tea kettle to cook in, it is totall overkill. So get or make your own stand for the burner. Here is a link to what I mean:
    https://www.google.no/search?q=trang...w=1600&bih=775

anyway, it will lessen the bulk considerably. You can always imprivise a wind screen.
    You can also get a butane burner, and even a multifuel burner for the Trangia cook sets. Else for a solo kit, just make or buy a cheap wood gas stove or similar. And find yourself a tea kettle with a big lid. Like the one in my pucture above that sits on the Optimus stove. That way you have both a kettle with a poring spout, that can be pressed into service as a billy can for cooking other things. The big lid will make it easy to clean. To save some money you can just use the tea kettle from the trangia :-)

But what I used to do for solo trips, is to just find a separate cook stand for the trangia burner, or just place it between som stones, take the small pot, with the tea kettøe nested within it. Plus a folding wind screen. It should all fit in the small pot.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 02-04-2016 at 12:29 PM.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Thank you Sir.
    Brilliant advice. Will look into it... Especially if they do multifuel burners too. Wood is preferred but sometimes fires are not convenient or permitted. So versatility is key.
    Tusen takk

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Thank you Sir.
    Brilliant advice. Will look into it... Especially if they do multifuel burners too. Wood is preferred but sometimes fires are not convenient or permitted. So versatility is key.
    Tusen takk
    They do but it costs 3 times more than the cook set...lol
    My trangia meths burner came with a pre-heater so that it is easier to fire up in cold temps.
    But in cold temperatures I just use my wood gas stove, or the optimus :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    They do but it costs 3 times more than the cook set...lol
    My trangia meths burner came with a pre-heater so that it is easier to fire up in cold temps.
    But in cold temperatures I just use my wood gas stove, or the optimus :-)
    So combining this with the IKEA stove or a home made woodgas stove ( the can within the can) is the ideal solution I thinks.... Hmmm the plot thickens...
    Thank you

You can probably use the ikea stove as a cook stand for the trangia stove as well :-)
    I hav eused mine with the wood gas stove as a cook stand :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    You can probably use the ikea stove as a cook stand for the trangia stove as well :-)
    I hav eused mine with the wood gas stove as a cook stand :-)
    My thoughts exactly... Then it all works together if, as and when. Perfect.

Thank you again...