Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ropecraft?

Trapper
    Hi - animated knits is good but so is Groggs knots - app also

Always got some rope, so many uses, but not suitable for climbing its cheapy stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it is a climbing rope, bear in mind it will be dynamic (so a bit bouncy/elasticy). This probably won't be a problem, but if you don't intend to climb, then you could certainly lighter alternatives to a dynamic climbing rope for day to day use.

Good idea to carry a rope though, I normally stick to thicker paracord personally. Very light and very strong, but I wouldn't want to be climbing with it!

I don't carry a rope often, as they're heavy and bulky. I sometimes carry a short length of semi-static rope and/or some etriers (aid climbing webbing ladders) if the Old Man or Missus is with me and might need a hand up or down a steep slope for example. Otherwise I tend to avoid hauling it around unless I'm actually climbing. If you're only wanting it for a hand rail, you can get confidence rope at Decathlon which is considerably cheaper just don't try climbing on it! Never a bad idea to learn how to tie a figure 8 on a bight and figure 8 follow through either, they're very useful knots for heavy load bearing.
    Last edited by SlimJim; 16-06-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim View Post
    I don't carry a rope often, as they're heavy and bulky. I sometimes carry a short length of semi-static rope and/or some etriers (aid climbing webbing ladders) if the Old Man or Missus is with me and might need a hand up or down a steep slope for example. Otherwise I tend to avoid hauling it around unless I'm actually climbing. If you're only wanting it for a hand rail, you can get confidence rope at Decathlon which is considerably cheaper just don't try climbing on it! Never a bad idea to learn how to tie a figure 8 on a bight and figure 8 follow through either, they're very useful knots for heavy load bearing.
    Blimey, you are brave including the 'Missus' and 'heavy load bearing' in the same post Best hope she doesn't come on here or you are seriously for it