Thread: Spring Has Sprung (lots of piccies!)

Spring Has Sprung (lots of piccies!)

It's that time of the year.
    Everyone is off trying to use up the last of their annual leave before April. If you don't use it you lose it.
    So I'm off this week and, fortunately, I've managed to avoid being given a list of chores I have to do. My time is mine!
    So today I had a day playing in the woods.
    It's a large patch of Forestry Commission woods, a mix of beech...

And pine...

I decided to do a complete circuit of the woods, which meant it would occupy me for the day. A couple of weeks ago I made a spontaneous purchase - a stainless steel MSR 770ml pot. It's a cracking little pot - perfect for one person. Inside it I can stash a trangia burner, pocket stove, and brew kit. Worth the £16. So about halfway around I decided to christen it and had a lunchbreak.

It's still only mid-March, but the bluebells are already starting to poke their heads above the parapet.

And then I made my way to the spot I had in mind where I would rig up my hammock and just chill out for a couple of hours. When I got to my spot I found someone had made a shelter. I normally don't like to see shelters that people have built left up, but this one was well made, discretely sited, and in a perfect spot with a lovely view. And it also provided good shelter from the easterly wind that was blowing. But I'd had my heart set on putting my hammock up so up it went anyway.

Then to get a fire going and put a bit of colour on that new pot. I scrounged a bit of chain from the shed to span between the clip and handle so that it could hang over the fire, and it worked perfectly.

And then, the day over, a short walk back to the car. Oh, and the obligatory wildlife shot - a perky little robin...

'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Sort of getting there here as well. Had to rescue the runt today. The little fellow was stuck up to his waist in wet snow on his snowsled hill, and could not move. He was a bit scared, and there were tears, but the tough little kid never led go of his sled :-)

Carried him inside and got him undressed and put in a hot bath, followed up by fleece clothes and wool socks, + hot cocoa...he had snow down his neck, his boots where full of snow too...

Anyway, the snow is wet because it has been raining for a week, and temps are on the + side of the scale :-)
    Time to break out the snow shoes...
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 17-03-2016 at 05:53 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Had to rescue the runt today. The little fellow was stuck up to his waist in wet snow on his snowsled hill, and could not move.
    Disappointing Rune. Could you get us s photo next time please?
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Tribesman
    Great pics, been off myself for a few days.
    Nice to have bit of warmth in the air.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

I would have, but the little feller was so distressed I just had to do the right dad thing and get him out of there :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Excellent pics and tale as ever Humakt, I hope the weather keeps up it's my go next week

Going to be checking out a local wood where the management has been given to a local "conservation group" who on the face of it are into permaculture and opening it up to the community... but the local rumours suggest they are wrecking it for timber and making a fast buck (Raincliffe Woods, Scarborough if anyone is interested in checking it out)
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

A bit of inspiriation there Humakt, thank you, rucksack packed.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”