Thread: Well, it wasn't like this in my day!

Well, it wasn't like this in my day!

http://www.caseysoutdoorleisure.co.u...FcfgGwodwaQH-w

A double sleeping mat as D of E approved kit Blimey eh.....kids nowadays!

I would like to say what is going through my head but being a moderator on this forum, I shall refrain from such language and follow the rules.

I am a DofE Expedition Supervisor and in no way is this recommended kit. This kind of rubbish put forward on these stores sites does us no favours at all when trying to teach the kids the good from the bad. The problem is that as soon as a manufacturer becomes a recommended supplier they seem to have the logo stuck over everything. Does my head in.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I totally agree with you. Have you seen this? http://www.dofeshopping.org/expedition-kit
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I would like to say what is going through my head but being a moderator on this forum, I shall refrain from such language and follow the rules.
    I am a DofE Expedition Supervisor and in no way is this recommended kit. This kind of rubbish put forward on these stores sites does us no favours at all when trying to teach the kids the good from the bad. The problem is that as soon as a manufacturer becomes a recommended supplier they seem to have the logo stuck over everything. Does my head in.

Yep, that's the site we are supposed to point them to.

I know that the organisation has to raise money to support the running of this programme, and commercial companies are a route to getting funds through becoming a DofE recommended supplier, but parents with little knowledge of such things read the kit lists that are provided by DofE and immediately run out the door to buy it. This means we have god knows how many young folk with 65+ litre packs weighing nigh on 20 kilos half killing themselves trying to complete what should be an enjoyable experience. If the list is read correctly then parents can get an idea of what is needed and find lighter and less bulky alternatives. Buy once and be set for years.

I run kit evenings where the youngsters and parents are invited in to talk about and see suitable kit that doesn't cost the earth. Running one next week actually. This way they can get the base pack weight down to around 10 kilos which I did for my daughter. Much better in my opinion.

I ran a Scout Troop for a number of years, some of the kids would turn up with more kit in their Cyclops bergens for a weekend than I would have taken for 6 weeks in the jungle in Belize.

But I guess if you have someone special in the evenings to ease your aching muscles eh A mate of mine also pointed out that some of the kids he sees in Bristol would need a double mat to themselves!

Ten Tors, an annual challenge run on Dartmoor over two days, specify a maximum pack weight of 13.6 kilos. That gets them thinking when they are packing their gear.