Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on small water filter

Looking for advice on small water filter

When out hiking I drink about 2 litres of water a day and require more for washing and cooking but since water is heavy I seem to never have enough with me. Currently I am looking for a water filter that is light and will allow me to use water from streams and where every I find it but also be able to filter out bacteria and all the nasty stuff. I want it to be able to fit a bottle so I can refill when necessary. I have a nice ponc stainless steel bottle with a 50mm opening so want something to fit it.

Any suggestions welcome

The Sawyer Mini filter is a great bit of kit. It will fit standard disposable plastic bottle heads, or Platypus bladders. It comes with a small water bladder. Definitely worth looking into. I don't think it will fit on your water bottle, but that might not be a bad thing. Filling your water bottle with unclean water may leave traces if you then fill it with clean water and want to drink without the filter. Plus the extra bladder for unclean water increases your water carrying capacity.
    Over here it will filter stream water etc as long as the water isn't contaminated by chemicals like stuff that has run off fields. If you stick to smaller streams higher up rather than big streams lower down you'll be absolutely fine.
    I carry a steel water bottles (600ml) plus the filter, a 2L Platypus for unclean water, and an extra 2L Platypus bladder for clean water if I need to load up. Let's me carry 4.6L and it doesn't weigh much or take up much room unless I fill the bladders. Good luck with the search. There's some great kit out there these days.

Another here for the Sawyer mini. I don't like the bag/bottle they supply though as it has a very small bottle type opening that make it difficult to fill so I did this with mine

I can then hang it from a convenient place and let it gravity feed a second bladder. I have the option of carrying 2 or 4 litres depending on where I am going and available water supplies between the two bladders

Good call. Filling their bladder is particularly tricky, especially in moving water which has a tendency to flatten the bladder before it can be filled Platypus bladders are a bit easier. A bit.
    They're pretty versatile, even coming with a straw which you can put directly into a water source.
    They were cheap on Amazon a while back...

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Hi Cabot, just thought I'd share my experience of drinksafe systems.
    They are UK based company, they were really helpful with all the questions that I threw at them and the prices are great for the quality.
    I'm NOT a seller for these guys , nor a rep or someone like that, but their kit is great. It works out a lot cheaper than bottled water.
    Check them here: http://drinksafe-systems.co.uk/
    Especially if you're on the go and have no time to go through the millbag and fire method.

I got the explorer canteen and the kids got the new travel tap (pull top) bottles.
    The great thing about these is the fact that you can squeeze the water out of the spout making it easier to brush teeth , wash or even for first aid.
    We use them regularly out in camping trips, long walks and so far on one trip to Morocco... No deli belly for us so I can tell you they work.
    They also do a adapter for bladder systems and such...
    Hope this helps.

PS.- also when the filter cartridge has reached its end life ....it just shuts off!!! Brilliant huh?
    Meaning you'll never drink unsafe water by mistake... Foolproof works best for me... Hehehe
    Last edited by Woody; 12-03-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: additional information

Forgot that one. I bought my daughter the travel tap for when I take her and the rest of the groups out on expeditions. Seems to have worked so far.

I first bought the drink-safe water straw and have used it extensively,
    I use it with a freezer bag, just scoop up the water,dip in the straw and if the water is smelly close the bag around the straw, works for me,
    I am so impressed I bought the 3 in 1 microfilter for obtaining water for other uses (cooking,washing and of course other people)
    Both have been used a lot with no ill effects,

You do have to be careful to not cross contaminate, treat them a bit like an asbestos clearing trailer by having a dirty and a clean section and make sure you know which is which.

I have recently added a Sawyer mini but have yet to put it through its paces, so I'll reserve judgement at the moment, I like the idea of being able to back flush it because the drink-safe safe versions slowly clog and eventually be come unusable, not something you want while out and about.

Waffling now, but one last thing.
    Pre filtering with a milbank bag or similar really helps with flow rates
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I bought one of these sometime ago. They're back for sale in our local pharmacy & I'm sure I saw these in Wilco recently too.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    *edited.. Hi Cabot, just thought I'd share my experience of drinksafe systems..http://drinksafe-systems.co.uk/

Thanks for the suggestion guys, someone recently said to me that if I was concerned about stuff in water just boil it but boiling doesnt remove toxic chemicals like roundup or anything else that may have meet spread on the land. I am looking for something that will fit in a side pocket of my backpack and be able to produce 2-3litres at a time.

The drinksafe looks interesting and will check it out I also found this but it looks very heavy http://www.iconlifesaver.eu/lifesave...f#.VuZ4a0f2AQM but only less that a kg. Not sure if its the answer either.

Also found this which might be the answer to what im looking for but it is very expensive http://www.highwaterfilters.com/Kata...-p/8013618.htm and want other gear aswell. I reckon I could get away with just something like this filter and a 1 litre bottle like this http://puncbottles.com/product/1000m...-water-bottle/ which should be all I need if off grid for a few days.