Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Small Mora Knife - Morakniv Eldris

They do look rather handy - looking forward to seeing and handling one

It reminds me a lot of the Helle Nying, a knife that became very popular ammong soldiers when I was in the army. It had a diffrent sheath back then that lent itself weel to being taped onto
    our webbing, and was used for just about anything the Leuku was to large for. And I mean everything from opening tins of field rations to cutting rope, and freeing ourselves when we got entangled in camo nets :-)

Anyway thats a more (pricey) alternative to those who want a more bushcrafty looking knife that size.

Name:  Helle-Nying_Klassisk_Norsk_Kniv.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  4.5 KB

- Blade: 3- layer laminated stainless steel / carbon core
    - Handle birch
    - Sheath: leather
    - Blade length: 70 mm
    - Handle length: 90mm
    - Weight: Knife 74 gram / sheath 40 gram
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 06-03-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Tribesman
    I confess to admiring the look of that Rune.
    I'm still not convinced to change my habit of a folder and a 4'' belt knife, when in the woods.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Quote Originally Posted by rossbird View Post
    I confess to admiring the look of that Rune.
    I'm still not convinced to change my habit of a folder and a 4'' belt knife, when in the woods.
    I find that the only time I use my folders, is when I have no other knife on me. I just can't be bothered with opening them. And I do not like the look of the modern
    one hand opening types. So I would prefer a short bladed fixed blade to a folder. But it would have to be a cheap one...I can't justify getting the Helle Nying :-)
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I find that the only time I use my folders, is when I have no other knife on me. I just can't be bothered with opening them. And I do not like the look of the modern
    one hand opening types. So I would prefer a short bladed fixed blade to a folder. But it would have to be a cheap one...I can't justify getting the Helle Nying :-)
    Going by the points you mentioned with folders annoying you... the Svord Peasant (or mini) is a easy one hand opener, also I think it has a more old'e world look about it so it doesn't look modern. Just thought I would mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    The only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that it's fixed blade. When it comes to small knives I prefer a folder so I don't have to think about legal issues (just about all my outdoor activities take place on public land - however remote and 'hidden' I may be).
    A very good point and one we have to consider here in the UK. Again why I like to carry a Svord Peasant mini as my EDC at the moment, it has a 2.5" blade.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Yes will probably pick up a svord whenever I come across one with a wood handle. But I have a .50 cal ammo box sitting under my desk full of knives, that will cover my needs
    so will probably not go out of my way to find one :-)

It was actually the hunt for a knife to take on my walks in the forest that brought me into bushcraft in the first place. So natrually I ended up with more blades than I can use...lol
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Going by the points you mentioned with folders annoying you... the Svord Peasant (or mini) is a easy one hand opener, also I think it has a more old'e world look about it so it doesn't look modern. Just thought I would mention it.

A very good point and one we have to consider here in the UK. Again why I like to carry a Svord Peasant mini as my EDC at the moment, it has a 2.5" blade.
    I've been using a Svord Mini as my EDC for a while now. I can fit it in the coin pocket of my jeans along with a BIC Mini. The tang tucks under my belt keeping it very secure.

Only wish the Svord Mini had a scandi version. Then it would be the perfect knife for me..

Huh hadn't seen anything on this one. For me could be a handy blade while riding. I actually could see this one being handy for carving good companion knife to a bigger mora
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

That sounds worth a try,
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Samuel Hearne
    When they go on sale I will buy one as SWMBO has got a very nice neck knife made by Mick91.