Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Alfred Cakes

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

King Alfred Cakes

hello,
    On a recent walk up through the river Avon onto Chatelherault Country Park high parks near Hamilton South Lanarkshire. I took this opportunity seeing the weather has changed & the ground wasn't as sodden as it was in recent months. I was lucky enough to find (stumble upon) crampballs fungus, also referred to as King Alfred's Cakes (a reference to the fungi's burnt appearance from the story of King Alfred) & coal fungus. They are also referred to as Cramp Balls (old wife's tale because carrying them was thought to cure an attacks of cramps). These hard, inedible fungi I found on a ash tree but occasionally found on other hardwood trees. I wasn't 100% sure at first as to the species, so I picked off the smallest conk & to save time used my Primus power lighter II a short burst of flame direct onto the edge of the cake & instant ember nurtured by blowing gently on such. The internal structure was very compacted & contained some moisture. I was unsure if this was because of the frost or part of the growth structure of the fungus? like most finds I could pick & dry it at this stage but it will IMO maybe burn unreliably? I had the conk I removed identified later by one of the Park Rangers on the way home, definitely a King Alfred Cake. I was informed by the Park Ranger (very knowledgeable) that the mature dried fungus can sit on a branch for up to two years, insects & moisture will all play a role in its shelf life. They can be stored indefinitely when picked at the right time. It's the first in a longtime since I have come across cramp balls fungus, maybe they have been there & I've not been looking hard enough? I left the remaining cramp balls intact there's a few larger ones, if I need such I know where I can resource them in the near future. The cramp ball I have has now dried & I tried & tested such with a piece of Jasper I was given & fire steel. A nice shower of sparks & the cramp ball was soon a glowing ember. It's now on my bucket list as a tinder in my FSK in the coming months for fire lighting skills. *Image depicted some cramp balls on a fallen log very much similar to what I found.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	13550

i LOVE cramp balls... i have a lot of them in the woods where i work.. brilliant when teamed up with a ferro rod.. the only issue iv ever had with them was when i first tried to create an ember with one many years ago, i hadn't realised the best thing to do with a dried out ball was to cut a smaller bit off to create an ember with, as its very difficult to put an ember out on a large cramp ball! ended up with a very large, very hot cramp ball. had to snuff it out with tin foil in the end, cutting off its oxygen! they are a very slow burn and is a great way of transporting a live ember also.

One with Nature
    hello,
    Shepherd as said the grounds not as sodden as it was in the past few months, the spate of the river is down so the pathway is passable. Nice find from the start of my walk. I'll harvest a few of the larger cramp balls next visit. I received some nice lumps of jasper & knife river flint from a BCUSA forum member in a non monetary trade, so what best way to try out these agates with a piece of amadou & cramp ball.
    Regards
    David

sounds like a brilliant plan mate!

One with Nature
    hello,
    Shepherd I was recently harvesting tinder in the same area & the local Council (in there wisdom) where I spotted the King Alfred cakes by the river Avon onto Chatelherault Country Park high parks near Hamilton South Lanarkshire, they've gone & stripped the lot from the trees, removed ivy growing up the trees as well. Argh.. (bad words). I thought at the time leave some of these coal fungi for another day, don't go harvesting this bounty in one go (famous last words). By luck I received a surprise package today which contained a small share of recently harvested amadou tinder seeing I shared my last strip of amadou on a recent Bushcraft session.
    Regards
    David

David any tips for storing them my harvest from a few weeks ago I dried in the sun for four days then put them in a sealed bag dug them out and they are covered in white mildew

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    David any tips for storing them my harvest from a few weeks ago I dried in the sun for four days then put them in a sealed bag dug them out and they are covered in white mildew
    Diviy , just wipe the mildew off first, then wrap them, individually, inside a paper towel or put them inside a cotton bag , and just store at room temperature somewhere dry , warmth not really needed but damp (like a shed) will set you back to square 1.

Air dry, no plastic container etc.

Check every other day , black powdery stuff may appear ( spores , mould dusting) , just wipe and continue. after a few weeks your tinder should be dry and ready to go....

if needed in a hurry cut them in half or quarters to dry quicker.

Check by sacrificing one of the bigger balls and cutting a small piece out of it to try with sparks.
    If it catches , your smaller ones are bound to be ready too...

Remember you don't need much to get an ember... so a whole crampball can start quite a few fires...
    Good luck bud

cheers dude I will do that you are a star do you still need some ?

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    cheers dude I will do that you are a star do you still need some ?
    No thanks mate, I'm good.
    Found a load just the other day... drying out as we speak.

Thank you for the offer though.

How did you get on with the flint and steel in the end??
    Did it work ?
    Last edited by Woody; 24-05-2016 at 10:31 PM.

No luck yet hoping to get out tomorrow and use my mate bench grinder to edge it fed up being stuck in the house but hoping to get out for a few days over the weekend touch wood