Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scotland: Airgun owners given six months to licence weapons

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    Or you could go the whole hog, get a .303 but my guess is the neighbours may get a bit annoyed when you start firing that in the back garden
    I can juuuuuust about see my neighbour's house from my house. It is on the same side of the hill but along the glen a ways. He's too busy firing off his shotguns and semi-auto 22 to worry about me and mine anyway, although I might have found a way to discourage him from landing his helicopter in the field down hill from me

The argument is always about the gun being a tool and essential for pest control, hunting etc. What wild beasts are there in the UK that require a semi-automatic rifle to hunt them with? I would suggest absolutely none.

The pistols thing, again why do you need a pistol? You won't be hunting with it, you will be only target shooting, use something else instead. If they bring in licences for air-rifles, then all well and good. The licences could be along the lines of the current law (14 etc)

I live in Somerset, a small county with approximately 65,000 legally held firearms and shotguns!
    What do you need all those bushcraft knives and axes for then? Surely a round topped butter knife is all the cutlery anyone should need?
    Last edited by claverhouse; 01-03-2016 at 12:59 AM.
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Quote Originally Posted by claverhouse View Post

What do you need all those bushcraft knives and axes for then? Surely a round topped butter knife is all the cutlery anyone should need?
    brilliant point

... and as already stated, pistols are used for humane dispatch on deer and boar and id be lost at work without my semi auto rifles. brilliant for lamping. a follow up shot is a very handy thing when, not only hunting, but during professional pest control. i have my 8 shot semi-auto shotgun strapped to my back all day everyday when at work. it is an essential bit of kit.

like knives, guns are tools. its idiots that make them into weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Are Scottish owners going to be required to keep their weapons in a Gun Safe?

Does anyone know?
    Here are a few pointers on act.from SACS Dec members Magazine....
    Air Weapon Cert..expected to cost £80.last 5 years unless,your under 18.(Can have a AWC at 14,but it is only to use one)
    Yor AWC ,will not list itemise airguns Mods,etc
    WHAT IS GOOD REASON...Sporting purposes,pest control ,target shooting on private land. but NOT PLINKING in your average back yard ..
    Can I change myreason from target shooting to pest control.?YES you can apply for a variation .but this works both way n police can remove conditions
    If you already have a SGC,FAC .you dont have to apply until they run out.
    You need a referee,as with SGC/FAC.Storage and transpoert of Air weapon.You will have to take reasonable precautions toensure the airgun is always in safe custody.and not acce3ssable to anyone who should not hyave access to it.
    (EXACT STORAGE HAD NOT BEEN AGREED IN DEC)
    There are several other pages re visiting for sport ,compititions etc.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Knives aren't like guns, that is just nonsense. Especially in the eyes of the public.

The question that you only need one knife is actually truer of of guns than bladed weapons. Why would you need a pistol to dispatch a wounded animal when you have the rifle you wounded it with? There is also a comment above that why would anyone need a weapon firing more than 500/600 yards, well that is a very good question. Why would you need such a weapon, especially a semi-automatic one? If you need a pistol to dispatch something you have wounded at close range, then I would suggest you should not be taking long range shots at all. If you can't get there in a minute (which you won't over rough ground) then should you be letting the quarry suffer for that long, doesn't seem very humane to me!

The other arguments are quite spurious, especially the left hand bolt one, honestly? How many left handed people used right hand bolts in wars gone by? I have seen someone fire a Lee Enfield .303 left handed in seconds!

We have to be aware that 'The Public' do not greatly share the enthusiasm for tools/weapons, and you also have to remember that the fact is you can't kill 20 people in 2 minutes with a knife, similarly you can't kill people with a knife from 250 metres.

Knives are not like guns, that is correct. They are far more numerous and far more dangerous to British society, as the vast majority of weapons used in assaults and murders are knives.And in the tabloid fed "eyes of the public", there is a great deal of support for mandatory prison sentences for anyone carrying any form of knife, ever. Substantial and respected law enforcement studies show that at close range, a person armed with a knife will kill a person armed with a firearm more times than not, they are that dangerous. And only someone entirely ignorant of guns , types of guns and firearm safety and therefore wholly unsuited to discussing the subject like an adult, would consider using a high velocity rifle to humanely dispatch an animal at the necessary close quarters involved. You also appear to be entirely ignorant of the fact that the only semi-automatic firearms that can be owned in the UK are .22 calibre and therefore not weapons which are capable of firing more than 600 yards ( .22 around 150- 200 yard effective IIRC ), if you are not ignorant of that fact, why are you muddying the waters by talking as if people could buy semiauto high velocity?

Also, I reflected back at you your own suggestion of "only needing one type of item". It's a wholly false suggestion. It's not only a question of "need", it's a question of legality and desire. If it is lawful to own a type of thing, then as long as you are obeying that law, you are entitled to own as many as you can afford. Otherwise it might be suggested that you only "need" one book, or one pair of shoes, or be allowed to watch only one television station.
    Last edited by claverhouse; 01-03-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

knives and guns are very very similar, demonised tools both in their own right. but essential bits of kit and tools in the correct hands.

i dont use a pistol for humane dispatch, but i do think one should be carried by people who are hunting deer or boar to avoid unnecessary suffering. i was not saying one is needed as an animal would be wounded from a silly distance and needs tracking and shooting point blank. its needed for those rare occasions that someone misses the intended part of the animal - as accidents happen. in which case it would be ridiculous to get within point blank range of a wounded animal and then shoot it with a high powered scoped rifle. in actual fact that would be very dangerous. not only that but gamekeepers, like myself, are expected to deal with animals wounded in RTC's and thus a pistol would be very useful in this situation and far cleaner than a shotgun or knife.
    Last edited by shepherd; 01-03-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by claverhouse View Post
    Knives are not like guns, that is correct. They are far more numerous and far more dangerous to British society, as the vast majority of weapons used in assaults and murders are knives.And in the tabloid fed "eyes of the public", there is a great deal of support for mandatory prison sentences for anyone carrying any form of knife, ever. Substantial and respected law enforcement studies show that at close range, a person armed with a knife will kill a person armed with a firearm more times than not, they are that dangerous. And only someone entirely ignorant of guns , types of guns and firearm safety and therefore wholly unsuited to discussing the subject like an adult, would consider using a high velocity rifle to humanely dispatch an animal at the necessary close quarters involved. You also appear to be entirely ignorant of the fact that the only semi-automatic firearms that can be owned in the UK are .22 calibre and therefore not weapons which are capable of firing more than 600 yards ( .22 around 150- 200 yard effective IIRC ), if you are not ignorant of that fact, why are you muddying the waters by talking as if people could buy semiauto high velocity?

Also, I reflected back at you your own suggestion of "only needing one type of item". It's a wholly false suggestion. It's not only a question of "need", it's a question of legality and desire. If it is lawful to own a type of thing, then as long as you are obeying that law, you are entitled to own as many as you can afford. Otherwise it might be suggested that you only "need" one book, or one pair of shoes, or be allowed to watch only one television station.
    I'll second those remarks.claverhouse

Substantial and respected law enforcement studies, which ones? A couple of links please? I don't reckon you will be able to come up with one single study that shows a knife attacker could kill someone ready and armed with a gun at a distance of more than 10 metres. Next you will be telling us about the reactionary gap and the fact that a safe distance from an assailant is at least 22 feet.

Why would the weapon used to take the original shot not be suited to administer a coup de grace? You could even stab them with your big knife. More importantly maybe is why would anyone take a shot if not totally confident of a clean kill? The only semi-automatic weapons currently allowed are smaller calibre, but Midas is bemoaning the fact that he had to surrender his larger calibre weapons under the change of rules following Hungerford (I think, handguns followed after Dunblaine). Try and keep up.

As for one type of thing only, well yeah why not? One shotgun, one small, one middle, one large calibre rifle. One bushcraft knife, one penknife, one small one large axe etc, that all seems wholly reasonable to me.

Oh, and as you have called into question my credibility to even be in this conversation......I grew up on a farm in Buckinghamshire and have been shooting .410, 12 gauge and air rifles all my life (pigeons, rats, rabbits, boys stuff!), larger calibres in the Air Cadets and I achieved a good standard there. Then I joined the Army for 9 years and shot all manner of weapons there, including as a competition shooter for my Regiment at Bisley, I guess the FH70s and the Abbotts and 105mm light guns are beyond the scope of this conversation? Then I left, got back into air-rifles again, and then spent 10 years or so shooting shotguns again at various local sporting and clay shoots until the kids came along and the money dried up. The eldest is 16 and he has also been up to a sporting shoot after he learned the basics on the air rifle I got him when he was 14. I intend to re-apply for my shot-gun licence in the next year. I also shoot bows, although I do not compete anymore, I was quite good at that too. Is that credible enough for you?

Knives aren't like guns, that is just nonsense. Especially in the eyes of the public.

The question that you only need one knife is actually truer of of guns than bladed weapons. Why would you need a pistol to dispatch a wounded animal when you have the rifle you wounded it with? There is also a comment above that why would anyone need a weapon firing more than 500/600 yards, well that is a very good question. Why would you need such a weapon, especially a semi-automatic one? If you need a pistol to dispatch something you have wounded at close range, then I would suggest you should not be taking long range shots at all. If you can't get there in a minute (which you won't over rough ground) then should you be letting the quarry suffer for that long, doesn't seem very humane to me!

The other arguments are quite spurious, especially the left hand bolt one, honestly? How many left handed people used right hand bolts in wars gone by? I have seen someone fire a Lee Enfield .303 left handed in seconds!

We have to be aware that 'The Public' do not greatly share the enthusiasm for tools/weapons, and you also have to remember that the fact is you can't kill 20 people in 2 minutes with a knife, similarly you can't kill people with a knife from 250 metres.
    The boar isnt alwayswounded by the rifle ( though the second n third one in a group may be.often yhe dogs pega boar in thick cover were using a high powered rifle is difficult.a spear or pistol is useful.
    I also shotone looses ones sight picture every time you work the bolt SMLE Legt handed. But unlike "wartime shooting"1. Perfered the semi Auto FN
    I do use a left handaad bolt action,as well as a double rifle,also use a semi auto and 10shot pump action shotgun withbbrenneke
    I do use a right handed bolt action sniping rifle.as its operated of a bipod.and means i dont habe to remove my trigger hand to work the bolt.runs vqqery smoithly cann hit a clay on the back stop at a 1,000+ yards.On a good day lol

Substantial and respected law enforcement studies, which ones? A couple of links please? I don't reckon you will be able to come up with one single study that shows a knife attacker could kill someone ready and armed with a gun at a distance of more than 10 metres. Next you will be telling us about the reactionary gap and the fact that a safe distance from an assailant is at least 22 feet.

Why would the weapon used to take the original shot not be suited to administer a coup de grace? You could even stab them with your big knife. More importantly maybe is why would anyone take a shot if not totally confident of a clean kill? The only semi-automatic weapons currently allowed are smaller calibre, but Midas is bemoaning the fact that he had to surrender his larger calibre weapons under the change of rules following Hungerford (I think, handguns followed after Dunblaine). Try and keep up.
    Suggest you discuss your knife v pistol eith the MOSSAD.THEIR TRAINING VIDEOS WOULD OPEB YOUR EYES.
    We appearcto be getting of the track of the original post.
    As for one type of thing only, well yeah why not? One shotgun, one small, one middle, one large calibre rifle. One bushcraft knife, one penknife, one small one large axe etc, that all seems wholly reasonable to me.

Oh, and as you have called into question my credibility to even be in this conversation......I grew up on a farm in Buckinghamshire and have been shooting .410, 12 gauge and air rifles all my life (pigeons, rats, rabbits, boys stuff!), larger calibres in the Air Cadets and I achieved a good standard there. Then I joined the Army for 9 years and shot all manner of weapons there, including as a competition shooter for my Regiment at Bisley, I guess the FH70s and the Abbotts and 105mm light guns are beyond the scope of this conversation? Then I left, got back into air-rifles again, and then spent 10 years or so shooting shotguns again at various local sporting and clay shoots until the kids came along and the money dried up. The eldest is 16 and he has also been up to a sporting shoot after he learned the basics on the air rifle I got him when he was 14. I intend to re-apply for my shot-gun licence in the next year. I also shoot bows, although I do not compete anymore, I was quite goou7uud at that too. Is that credible enough for you?
    WE APPEAR TO BE GOING OF THE PURPOSE OF THIS POST>>>>Ishall reply to this post then the matter is closed in my opinion.
    Your points on knife v gun,and distances.Please revue some of the MOSSAD training videos.you will eat your words.!!!!
    I would like to see you stick,stab an angry or wounded pig.with your knife.or even deal with a RTA roe buck.Thrashing its head about.Those antlers can easily puntcure your femeral artery.
    Off Course I'm still bemoaning the looss of my semi autos n pistols.They were my sporting equipment and I had don no wrong.Got to apease the IQ zeros.
    Because Ive been shooting for over 65 yrs,and when working could afford the best and as many as I needed.Why shouldnt I???
    Lots of people have lots of fishing rods.or golf clubs .They all have a purpose.Many of the guns and rifles ,pistols too been part of our history.black powder and early cartridge rifles.Strange it took over two years to ban,and arrange compo,.then make arrangements for us to "Hand them in"..OH WHY DIDNT ANYONE GO ON A WILD ONE IN THOSE TWO YEARS IF WE WERE ALL SO BAD???
    I hope you dont get a SGC.i'd enjoy my "shooting friends'',but not "enemies" to shooting and gun ownership..........
    Last edited by midas; 01-03-2016 at 06:20 PM.