Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scotland: Airgun owners given six months to licence weapons

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    How big is air rifle shooting over there really?
    In Norway they are not legal for hunting so people just get one for plinking away at targets in their basement while waiting for the hunting season to start.
    Rifle shooting as a sport is very huge here, but is dominated by people shooting 6x55 caliber rifles at 300 meters with diopter sights :-)
    from what iv seen i think air rifle shooting is bigger than ever over here. hunting with them is legal as long as you have the correct permissions and are after legal quarry etc. i think people are coming round to the idea of bagging things for the pot more and more over here. i work as a game keeper and thus am in charge of alot of land that NEEDS to have its pest species kept under control. and i have people contacting most days asking if they are able to shoot air rifles over the land.

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    from what iv seen i think air rifle shooting is bigger than ever over here. hunting with them is legal as long as you have the correct permissions and are after legal quarry etc. i think people are coming round to the idea of bagging things for the pot more and more over here. i work as a game keeper and thus am in charge of alot of land that NEEDS to have its pest species kept under control. and i have people contacting most days asking if they are able to shoot air rifles over the land.
    We do not have much in the way of pest species here to controll. We do not have wild rabbits, only hare, and the foxes take care of those. The fox may now and then take off a little, but scabies and winter regulates them pretty well, though my cousin likes to take out his .222 and help out...

So almost all hunting here is concentrated on a few species, namely duck, goose, mountain grouse, wood grouse, and hare for the small gamers, reindeer, deer, and moose for the big gamers.
    Winter hunting for mountain grouse is kind of special...done on skis, with a 22. LR or similar caliber. Could probably be done with an air-gun, but it's not legal to use any weapon that is not firing gun powder driven bullets...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

UK gun laws are...crazy, its legal to own a .50 cal sniper rifle but I can't have a .22 pistol.

America is strange too, Kinder Eggs are banned, the small parts of the toy are dangerous and yet in some states a fourteen year old can go and buy a pump action shotgun.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    UK gun laws are...crazy, its legal to own a .50 cal sniper rifle but I can't have a .22 pistol.

America is strange too, Kinder Eggs are banned, the small parts of the toy are dangerous and yet in some states a fourteen year old can go and buy a pump action shotgun.
    such a good couple of examples! its mental

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    We do not have much in the way of pest species here to controll. We do not have wild rabbits, only hare, and the foxes take care of those. The fox may now and then take off a little, but scabies and winter regulates them pretty well, though my cousin likes to take out his .222 and help out...

So almost all hunting here is concentrated on a few species, namely duck, goose, mountain grouse, wood grouse, and hare for the small gamers, reindeer, deer, and moose for the big gamers.
    Winter hunting for mountain grouse is kind of special...done on skis, with a 22. LR or similar caliber. Could probably be done with an air-gun, but it's not legal to use any weapon that is not firing gun powder driven bullets...
    sounds like a sweet hunting set up over there... i wish we had some harsher winters to take out some of our older foxes .. the ones that can no longer hunt seem to head straight for towns to eat out of bins.. now we are starting to become over run in towns with the manky old foxes plus the younger fit ones which have bred there...

It may well result in an increase in firearms ownership. I own a .22 air rifle, I don't currently have any firearms but if I am forced to licence my air rifle and get a gun safe, I may as well go the full hog and get the shotgun and .303 I've thought about for some time.
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Lunacy...Have we not got enough restrictions.
    Shotguns put on ticket.1968 to appease the public.(Pete Roberts shot 3 policemen with a revolver)
    Lost my semi-auto rifles..Lost my pistols.............
    Did or does or has this stop the criminals/drug dealers.Having these now Illegal/restricted items?????
    No!!only us chacked out SGC/FAC holders,Law abiding hunters ,sportsmen,compeditors.
    Remember we win more medals for shooting than any other sports pro rata,but seldom gets a mention on the news.
    as not PC.
    The argument is always about the gun being a tool and essential for pest control, hunting etc. What wild beasts are there in the UK that require a semi-automatic rifle to hunt them with? I would suggest absolutely none.

The pistols thing, again why do you need a pistol? You won't be hunting with it, you will be only target shooting, use something else instead. If they bring in licences for air-rifles, then all well and good. The licences could be along the lines of the current law (14 etc)

I live in Somerset, a small county with approximately 65,000 legally held firearms and shotguns!

Quote Originally Posted by claverhouse View Post
    It may well result in an increase in firearms ownership. I own a .22 air rifle, I don't currently have any firearms but if I am forced to licence my air rifle and get a gun safe, I may as well go the full hog and get the shotgun and .303 I've thought about for some time.
    Well, you could licence your air-rifle and keep using it in your garden for a couple of quid a week. Or you could go the whole hog, get a .303 but my guess is the neighbours may get a bit annoyed when you start firing that in the back garden

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    The argument is always about the gun being a tool and essential for pest control, hunting etc. What wild beasts are there in the UK that require a semi-automatic rifle to hunt them with? I would suggest absolutely none.

The pistols thing, again why do you need a pistol? You won't be hunting with it, you will be only target shooting, use something else instead. If they bring in licences for air-rifles, then all well and good. The licences could be along the lines of the current law (14 etc)

I live in Somerset, a small county with approximately 65,000 legally held firearms and shotguns!
    One woupd have a pistol or revolver for compedative targetvshooting.both practical n precision.
    One also often needs a pistol.for humane dispatch of animals.veryvusefulvto have when hunting wild boar.
    Guns,pistops rifles do not kill people. PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.Shootingis a sport.
    We dont licence golf clubs,and theyvare very dangerous.!!!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Cheddarman.Having a semi auto rifleis veryvuseful when out lamping rabbits.
    Was also very useful for a second or third back up shot on wildd boar ifvone couodnt afford a double rifle.also very useful for us left handers..before lefthand bolt rifles came available.also thecwere fun to compete with in practical shooting comprtitions.
    Nextcyoull be saying we dont require rifles that we shoot at a 1000/1200yards.c the
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown