Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scotland: Airgun owners given six months to licence weapons

Scotland: Airgun owners given six months to licence weapons

"If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

I would hope that if this extends to the rest of the UK the right to wild camp would also be extended.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Samuel Hearne
    I don't mind if they do bring it into force.

I don't see it as a big deal.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Lunacy...Have we not got enough restrictions.
    Shotguns put on ticket.1968 to appease the public.(Pete Roberts shot 3 policemen with a revolver)
    Lost my semi-auto rifles..Lost my pistols.............
    Did or does or has this stop the criminals/drug dealers.Having these now Illegal/restricted items?????
    No!!only us chacked out SGC/FAC holders,Law abiding hunters ,sportsmen,compeditors.
    Remember we win more medals for shooting than any other sports pro rata,but seldom gets a mention on the news.
    as not PC.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Lunacy...Have we not got enough restrictions.
    Shotguns put on ticket.1968 to appease the public.(Pete Roberts shot 3 policemen with a revolver)
    Lost my semi-auto rifles..Lost my pistols.............
    Did or does or has this stop the criminals/drug dealers.Having these now Illegal/restricted items?????
    No!!only us chacked out SGC/FAC holders,Law abiding hunters ,sportsmen,compeditors.
    Remember we win more medals for shooting than any other sports pro rata,but seldom gets a mention on the news.
    as not PC.
    couldnt agree more, firearms are always going to be available to wrong 'uns who want them, regardless of all this countries OTT restrictions. its sad as the next generation of kids who want to plink with a air rifle in their garden or bag their first rabbit may not have the opportunity..

also agree about the medals point.. George Digweed our most decorated competitor of any sport, ever. most people have never heard of him.. its very sad.

Can't say I am familiar with the Scottish Law on this one but will be having a look later as it may well impact on how English politicians think in future reviews. If it is just a matter of registering a rifle I can't see much harm in it and, having had real issues with idiots shooting across at my house, car and dog in the past, may assist in dealing with those that can't use them responsibly.

I don't believe that it will prevent children from being introduced to the sport as the majority would come from families that have a legitimate interest anyway. My concerns are just how tight are they going to go with the legislation. If they start looking at where you will be using them then this could become problematic as many folk, like myself, don't necessarily have permissive places to use them yet but have the rifle for an 'as and when' situation (hopefully to change soon).

At least it is not an issue in England quite yet but can't see them holding off for too long as it is also a way of increasing revenue.

i agree that for a lot of people the hobby of shooting is inherited, but im speaking as someone who was introduced to shooting by begging my non-shooting parents for my first airgun. infact no one in my family shoots. people like me would be left behind if strict air gun laws come in. but as you say, if its as little as filling in a form letting the powers that be know you have a rifle, it isnt a big deal.

How big is air rifle shooting over there really?
    In Norway they are not legal for hunting so people just get one for plinking away at targets in their basement while waiting for the hunting season to start.
    Rifle shooting as a sport is very huge here, but is dominated by people shooting 6x55 caliber rifles at 300 meters with diopter sights :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Are Scottish owners going to be required to keep their weapons in a Gun Safe?

Does anyone know?
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/