Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scotland: Airgun owners given six months to licence weapons

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    WE APPEAR TO BE GOING OF THE PURPOSE OF THIS POST>>>>Ishall reply to this post then the matter is closed in my opinion.
    Your points on knife v gun,and distances.Please revue some of the MOSSAD training videos.you will eat your words.!!!!
    I would like to see you stick,stab an angry or wounded pig.with your knife.or even deal with a RTA roe buck.Thrashing its head about.Those antlers can easily puntcure your femeral artery.
    Off Course I'm still bemoaning the looss of my semi autos n pistols.They were my sporting equipment and I had don no wrong.Got to apease the IQ zeros.
    Because Ive been shooting for over 65 yrs,and when working could afford the best and as many as I needed.Why shouldnt I???
    Lots of people have lots of fishing rods.or golf clubs .They all have a purpose.Many of the guns and rifles ,pistols too been part of our history.black powder and early cartridge rifles.Strange it took over two years to ban,and arrange compo,.then make arrangements for us to "Hand them in"..OH WHY DIDNT ANYONE GO ON A WILD ONE IN THOSE TWO YEARS IF WE WERE ALL SO BAD???
    I hope you dont get a SGC.i'd enjoy my "shooting friends'',but not "enemies" to shooting and gun ownership..........
    Public perception though, the pressure comes about on politicians not because of fact but because of perception, guns are more dangerous than knives in the eyes of the public, end of. As for MOSSAD training videos, ha! The key word I would suggest is training This video covers fight training very well

Now a thrashing animal who is trying to stick you, in that situation I would suggest it is like a man with 12 knives, who is p'eed off and after you, how close would you want to be with your pistol, 2 or 3 feet to be an accurate brain shot? But on a moving and thrashing target with big antlers, tusks and a serious attitude? Get it cornered and use your long man, get the job done efficiently.

As for your final comment, I am not and enemy of shooting, that's a daft thing to say. I am a fan of field sports of all kinds (ask my beagle), and if it takes a few losses to keep the whole then so be it. The way successive Governments have been (and to bring it neatly back to the OP) the banning of all 'recreational' firearms/air rifles/bows/catapults and croosbows is just a blink away. You lose your pistols and semi-automatic bigger rifles, hundreds of kids can still learn safely on air rifles and bows. Bigger picture stuff.

Subject matter such as this always leads to debate which is interesting and sometimes even educational but let's keep it costructive, instructive but most of all civil please. Remember that the written word is easily taken in a different context in which it is meant.

Totally valid reasons for owning guns:

1. Because it's fun to shoot them
    2. Because it's a hunting tool.

Why someoone would need a wepon that can shoot 6-700 yards?
    Becaouse there are legal requirements on the minimum impact energy of the rounds used in hunting. In Norway f.ex, if you want to hunt for hare, the smallest calibers, like a 22LR is not legal du to lack of impact power, and those rounds have a maximum raange of 2.6 km - and and can kill at that range.

Pistols...here in norway they are only used for sports...a perfectly valid reason for having them.

As for wepons in the hands of criminals...that is a criminal act, and the criminals should be punished for it. Not the owners of leagally procured guns.

The minimum legal stopping power of a round used for big game in Norway (anything from deer to moose) the the legal requirements for a 9 gram bullet (138.9 grain) is minimum 2700 joule measured at 100 meters from the firing position. For a 10 gram bullet the reqirement is 2200 joule.

That means typically a 308 round that can fly 4000 meters and kill at that range.

Semi automatics where mentioned. Many hunters are left handed, so it's simply easier to for them to safely use a semi automatic rifle for hunting. Others have handicaps that is making a semi-automatic a wiser choice. And then there is sports.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Nice one,Rune..Spot on,and to the point!!!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

This vid should give you an idea of how huge sporst shooting is in Norway. This is from the national cahampionships, and the event is "stang" shooting. I do not know what you call it in
    the UK. Since sports shooting here originated from millitary shooting, current millitary rifles are allowed, but civillians use civillian rifles.

The rules are simple:

In 2 x 25 seconds, fire off as many rounds as you can at two separate targets at an unknown distance.

The targets are "Småen" (the little one) placed betwwen 125 and 175 meters out, and a 1/4 figure, at a range of 200 to 250 meters.

You can shoot from any position you like (standing, sitting or prone), and an unlimitted number of rounds.

The weapon can only have iron sights (dioptre is allowed).

Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    This vid should give you an idea of how huge sporst shooting is in Norway. This is from the national cahampionships, and the event is "stang" shooting. I do not know what you call it in
    the UK. Since sports shooting here originated from millitary shooting, current millitary rifles are allowed, but civillians use civillian rifles.

The rules are simple:

In 2 x 25 seconds, fire off as many rounds as you can at two separate targets at an unknown distance.

The targets are "Småen" (the little one) placed betwwen 125 and 175 meters out, and a 1/4 figure, at a range of 200 to 250 meters.

You can shoot from any position you like (standing, sitting or prone), and an unlimitted number of rounds.

The weapon can only have iron sights (dioptre is allowed).

What a wonderful happy event,rifle shooting as a spectator sport.takes me back a few years to practical npistol comps shot in public parks in france.also good spirt and practice.
    Happiness is a hot rifle barrel.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Perfered the semi Auto FN
    Interesting how a right handed bolt was a problem, but getting a deluge of hot cartridge cases pinging back into your face didn't bother you!

It is a shame about the change of the rules over the last few years, but life moves on. We have had a succession of bad rules made for the wrong reasons, but some of them were also perfectly logical too.

The proposed changes in Scotland are quite sensible in my opinion. The US is often seen as some kind of Nirvana for gun ownership, but Obama is pushing through controls. We don't live in the Wild West, we don't need lots of weapons, we need pragmatic and sensibly devised laws, but especially we don't need another Hungerford, Dunblaine, Whitehaven, Raoul Moat etc

I know I have come across as, er, robust, in this thread. By way of explanation I knew several of the people involved in the aftermath of Hungerford, in a professional capacity as a mental health nurse. The damage isn't just done on the day, I was counselling one of the sisters from the hospital involved 3 years or more down the line. I know this backs up the guns aren't dangerous people are argument, but please explain why a bloke in a market town would ever need several shotguns, an M1 carbine, a range of pistols and a Kalashnikov variant, I really would be all ears!

Practical or dynamic shooting as it is now called here, is on the rise in popularity here now. :-)
    There is a club in town and I would love to start, just got to keep it on my bucket list for when I start working again as I cant afford it now.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Samuel Hearne
    I have several air rifles and the calibres are 2 x 177, 5 x 22 and a 20 cal I use 177 mainly for tgt shooting and the 22 for vermin the 20 is also used for vermin control I also have a 410 and a couple of 12 bore shot guns the 410 is a single barrel and one of the 12 bores is a single barrel hammer with a 32" barrel full choke the other is a over an under 28" with 1/4 and 3/4 choke and they are used for vermin control as well, but they all get used also I have taught many a person how to handle and shoot a air rifle, I also used to shoot competition when serving and that was issue pistol and rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    Interesting how a right handed bolt was a problem, but getting a deluge of hot cartridge cases pinging back into your face didn't bother you!
    Interesting how this has never been mentioned by any of the left handed friends in the army, nor any of my hunting friends who use semi automatics. Also the number of rounds fired in a hunting situation is normally 1 - one.

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
    It is a shame about the change of the rules over the last few years, but life moves on. We have had a succession of bad rules made for the wrong reasons, but some of them were also perfectly logical too.

The proposed changes in Scotland are quite sensible in my opinion. The US is often seen as some kind of Nirvana for gun ownership, but Obama is pushing through controls. We don't live in the Wild West, we don't need lots of weapons, we need pragmatic and sensibly devised laws, but especially we don't need another Hungerford, Dunblaine, Whitehaven, Raoul Moat etc

I know I have come across as, er, robust, in this thread. By way of explanation I knew several of the people involved in the aftermath of Hungerford, in a professional capacity as a mental health nurse. The damage isn't just done on the day, I was counselling one of the sisters from the hospital involved 3 years or more down the line. I know this backs up the guns aren't dangerous people are argument, but please explain why a bloke in a market town would ever need several shotguns, an M1 carbine, a range of pistols and a Kalashnikov variant, I really would be all ears!
    We don't need weapons? Who are "we"?
    Hunters and sports shooters have a genuine need for wepons, just like a football player needs a football.

The question about the the man in the market town is like asking why a golfer needs different types of clubs. But I will humor you.

The dude in the market town would need a shot gun for skeet shooting, another for goose hunting, and a third for grouse. The M1 carbine because he is interested in millitary shooting, and the kalashnikov variant because he is into daynamic sports shooting, although an AR-15 variant is the standard here.

By the way, none of these weapons, save for the Kalashnikov is any more dangerous than any big game hunters bolt action rifle. And I hardly see a need for a fully aytomatic weapon like that, I'll give you that one. An AR-15 on the other hand, is a semi automatic, and a much better choice for a a competer in dynamic shooting. And as a I said, no more danegrous than any standard hunting rifle out there.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 03-03-2016 at 05:02 AM.
    (Roald Amundsen)