Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antler bead for my Kuksa

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello Rune,
    I'm usually Ok for antler buffalo horn etc.. thanks for the offer very much appreciated.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    If I come across some reindeer antler around here I'll get some to you. There are reindeer in the hills here
    '

One with Nature
    hello,
    Bump.. 10 mile hike today & Bushcraft lesson in the sweltering heat +25C. One of our group brought along a bag of "elaeocarpus angustifolius" stones, the fruit derive from the blue olive berry tree aka the bead tree. The name Elaeocarpus derived from Greek words elaeo (olive) & carpus (fruit) referring to the olive-like dark blue fruit. The fruit ripens by summer & contains a hard rough 4-seeded hard stone. It's pitted seed coats I was informed, have been used for Chinese checkers & has a religious significance in Asian countries. A few were pre-drilled & used as beads for the draw string of a couple of leather tinder pouches & the finish to some hand made cotton tinder bags, some of which were screen printed with a outer Bushcraft design by a friend in the craftshop. A few stones have been retained & might be useful for thumb grips for ferro rods. I've got photos of the seeds I'll upload them if I have time.
    Regards
    David

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Bump.. 10 mile hike today & Bushcraft lesson in the sweltering heat +25C. One of our group brought along a bag of "elaeocarpus angustifolius" stones, the fruit derive from the blue olive berry tree aka the bead tree. The name Elaeocarpus derived from Greek words elaeo (olive) & carpus (fruit) referring to the olive-like dark blue fruit. The fruit ripens by summer & contains a hard rough 4-seeded hard stone. It's pitted seed coats I was informed, have been used for Chinese checkers & has a religious significance in Asian countries. A few were pre-drilled & used as beads for the draw string of a couple of leather tinder pouches & the finish to some hand made cotton tinder bags, some of which were screen printed with a outer Bushcraft design by a friend in the craftshop. A few stones have been retained & might be useful for thumb grips for ferro rods. I've got photos of the seeds I'll upload them if I have time.
    Regards
    David
    Wow , those sound cool.
    Id love to see a picture of these...

A pair of reindeer antlers walked past my living room window this morning, but they where still in the firm posession of the owner...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    hello Rune,
    What are you like eh? you didn't even think of going out & procuring a nice piece of fresh antler for your bud down in Scotland?? LMAO
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    A pair of reindeer antlers walked past my living room window this morning, but they where still in the firm posession of the owner...