Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antler bead for my Kuksa

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Antler bead for my Kuksa

hello,
    I was oiling my kuksa's got both a big bird type kuksa & a smaller baby bird style kuksa they came from Norway 2013. I added a piece of reindeer thong to both recently but have yet to find a decent bead for the end to finish the job in hand off. I've rooted through my friends craft shop beads & can't find anything to match. I was wondering if any forum member had or maybe trade a proper piece of carved reindeer antler bead to finish off my kuksa? Just enquiring at the moment..
    Regards
    David

One with Nature
    hello,
    Bump.. still looking.
    Regards
    David

Wanderer
    I can get you small pieces of deer antler if thats any use. Can you carve your own bead?

One with Nature
    hello,
    I was up until recently able to resource deer antler locally but that's unavailable at present so is the Pets Mart store they haven't replenished their stocks in a while. I'm trying to find a pre-carved bead or small antler crown with a Norge design to finish off my Kuksas. Thanks for the generous offer John very much appreciated.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by john61rm View Post
    I can get you small pieces of deer antler if that's any use. Can you carve your own bead?

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I will have a word with my brother, he bought some antler that was too small for a project. It's worth a try at least.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

One with Nature
    hello,
    Bump.. I've finish the kuksa off with same type of wood toggle with a 'Rune' marking selected from 'Rune Stone' markings. I have a full complete set which were made for me. They come in a set of 24 ancient alphabetic symbols. They can be made of different materials mine are made of wood. I was offered a set of glass these are quite attractive too but not for this purpose. A natural cotton material pouch with instructions defining the symbols included with the gift & a spare if I wish to use it as a tinder pouch.
    Regards
    David

Well I managed to get a hold of it anyway of off him. But now I can use it on the wading/ hiking staff I'm making for a good friend of mine. He's a disabled Angler and it's a gift. Won't be going to waste at least and will make his day being able to wade the margins again. It's being used for the toggles on the tethering cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

One with Nature
    hello,
    Only if I had known sooner..
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    Well I managed to get a hold of it anyway of off him. But now I can use it on the wading/ hiking staff I'm making for a good friend of mine. He's a disabled Angler and it's a gift. Won't be going to waste at least and will make his day being able to wade the margins again. It's being used for the toggles on the tethering cord.

No worries

Border Bushcrafters

If I come across some reindeer antler around here I'll get some to you. There are reindeer in the hills here
    '
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum