Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinel No7

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Opinel No7

hello,
    I was chatting to members of the BCUSA community over the Opinel No7 recently. I was offered free of any charge a couple of the No7 Opinel blades the round-tipped safety knife type. I was advised this round bladed knife is ideal for allowing students/children to learn how to carve wood under adult supervision etc.. it has a round tip & double safety ring "VIROBLOC" locks the blade in an open or closed position. Details also suggest it's ideal for pealing fruit etc.. the handle is beech wood with Opinel logo 7cm stainless steel blade. There were an other 2 on offer with bright coloured handles (Red & Orange) I opted for the beech wood as this I can stain or add a decorative pattern at a later stage in use. I did have both a Opinel Number 8 & 9 a while back which I used both on the farm & for Bushcraft purposes. I still prefer my SAK & Jack knife. I was using one of these No7 Opinels recently during a demo with Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme candidates practising for an expedition, the exercise was on winter fire lighting skills using the Opinel No7 striking a ferro rod with tinder which was very effective & making tinder feather sticks. I was kinda impressed by the simplicity & quality. I finally bit the bullet (shiny kit) got me a couple of Opinel No7 from the trade, well they were being offered what else could I do?? I did the trade with my buddy in the Mountaineering store. These come in varied packing *card or blister plastic & card, the latter blade is closed & sealed in the blister packet. These No7's with the rounded end caught my eye (not literally). I put my trade No7 through it's preliminary paces, they're razor sharp went through the branch making feather sticks & scraping fatwood for tinder with relative ease. Total length 7" inches tip to end opened. I'm going to put one of my No7's through it's paces a little more, both indoors & outdoors & keep the 2nd spare. I'm thinking of adding a lanyard, some type of knot that can slip to & fro without prohibiting the blade from opening & closing rather than drilling a hole in the end, plus this will allow the No7 to be worn suspended around the neck or from a carabiner or D ring. I was shown one of these No7's recently with the beech handle, which had a wood spirit design carved in it.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	13535
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 07-02-2016 at 09:37 AM.

I got a couple of #8 Opinels, one in Carbon steel and one in stainless. For me they work as my back-up knives, as I always have one sitting in my low-tech fire kit. I may forget to strap my belt knife on as I leave for my brew-up walks, but will never leave my fire kit, and that way I will always have a blade with me :-)
    The stainless version was purchased as a replacement in the kit for the carbon version, as it turned out the blade was rusting in there. I suspect as a result of the pouch being home to various bits of natural combustibles that where not always dry when scrounged from trees and the ground., or from simply sitting in a leather pouch in wet weather. ANd since it was actually never used for anything it just sat in the bnottom of the pouch. But a stainless bladed version of the knife solved that problem. And the carbon steel verson is now in the pouch where I keep my carving blades, and thereby gets the care it needs :-)
    Anyway, a nice, cheap little blade that in the right hands performs well.

When it comes to using it as a training blade for kids, I am a bit sceptical. There is to much give in the blade, and no finger guard. Also I do not believe in blunted points. Normal knives does not come that way,
    and the kids needs to learn like the edge, the point can hurt you too. Also there are techniques where you use the point as well that they should learn (thats where the finger guard comes into play). Once you have mastered taht part, the finger guard is no longer necessary and the child will have learned proper respect for the point as well.

Final note...while O love the design and simplicity of the knife, I prefer almost every other knife I own for wood work. I just cant get used to how this one bites into the wood. It must be the type of grind it has, as it tends to bite into more wood tah I intended :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I can certainly see a use for that type of Opinel in the camp kitchen - would be good for spreading butter etc too.

On a similar note I have just become aware of the Victorinox "safety" range - http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-First-Vic...5H4HY3387HFB9V

One with Nature
    hello,
    Thanks for the replies. I agree with you there Rune over teaching kids about knife safety. There is too much give in the blade or as we Scots say it's "shooglie" As said I received these in a trade off (no currency) so I'm not going to complain. I'll give the No7 a further field test & see if it's worth EDC kit bag space or not. Great tattie & fruit peeler BTW & spreads butter with ease Peaks
    Regards
    David

Oh it is a perfectly able knife for normal knife jobs. I.e whitling jobs, making fetaher sticks, tent pegs, cutting yourself a walking staff, etc.
    I do not like to use folders for processing food at all. To difficult to properly clean it afterwards. So that job goes to my Mora 2K wioth it's stainless, relatively long blade and generally easy to clean design.
    But with no opther option I wold use the Opinel on food as well, something it does brilliantly...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    hello,
    I agree there Rune.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Oh it is a perfectly able knife for normal knife jobs. I.e whittling jobs, making feather sticks, tent pegs, cutting yourself a walking staff, etc.
    I do not like to use folders for processing food at all. To difficult to properly clean it afterwards. So that job goes to my Mora 2K with it's stainless, relatively long blade and generally easy to clean design. But with no other option I would use the Opinel on food as well, something it does brilliantly...

really like opinels.. and the idea of one without a sharp tip for people with less experience and younger folk to train with is a really cool.

rarely without my carbon opinel #12.. a big folder but always find it very handy .. especially for everything Rune has stated..

One with Nature
    hello,
    The largest available in town is the No9. The gunshop before it closed in town (now online sales only) they had a stock clearance sale opinel No 8 & 9 for £4.99p each last year I was tempted then decided.. Nah. I quite like the look of the No7 round edge, as it was a trade off received 2 each (shared with Duke of Edinburgh Award candidates) who am I to complain? I've used such to effect from 'things to do with a No7' bucket list ferro rod & a nodule of flint sparks achieved from both. I used both sides of the blade with the ferro rod & the blade in lock closed position striking down on a nodule of flint, sparks were a flying.. it's still holding a sharp edge.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    really like opinels.. and the idea of one without a sharp tip for people with less experience and younger folk to train with is a really cool.
    rarely without my carbon opinel #12.. a big folder but always find it very handy .. especially for everything Rune has stated..

Trapper
    I've had a few optional 7's over the years. Seem to end up giving them away. All my drivers in Iraq ended up with them over time and an interpreter in Georgia. I carry a little 4 or 5 now, can't remember the actual number but it.s great for slicing cheese or cutting tomatoes and peeling and chopping cucumber up. I have an old buck folder somewhere but it's the optional i carry most days. With the carbon blade it's just great. I forced a patina on it with ketchup from day one. I also have started to use it still locked closed as a fire striker for the ferro rod, so simple. And even my 7 year old son gets to start the fire that way, nice and safe.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Trapper
    Opinel not optional.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.