Thread: Camera Decision

Camera Decision

I am looking to purchase a compact camera and have narrowed it down to either a Sony RX100 m1 or a Panasonic TZ70. I appreciate that they are slightly different cameras and both have well documented positive and negative comments in mass reviews.

Can anyone share their experiences if they own either camera or especially if they have lived with either camera for any length of time please. Thank-you.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Price check I think you could purchase a Canon DSLR 1200D for around the same price. I quite like the look of the Sony RX100 http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/cy...eras/dsc-rx100. I was also looking at the CANON PowerShot SX710 HS Superzoom compact camera. Interesting to see some feedback on this.
    Regards
    David

I've no experience of any of those cameras so can't offer any insight on that matter.
    What I would say is not to be swayed by hi-zoom cameras.
    Once you get over, say, x20 then it's all much of a muchness. Truth is, that all cameras suffer at the extreme ends of their zoom - picture quality will be greatly reduced. Also, once you get over x20 you'll have trouble holding the camera steady enough at the long ranges to make that extra zoom range worth it. Yeah, you could use a tripod (actually, I use a monopod - a compromise between stability and compactness), but surely that defeats the object of having a compact camera in the first place?
    Also, don't be swayed by how many mega pixels a camera is boasting. Once you get over 5-8 mega pixels it's a waste of memory card space. Unless you are printing images to go on billboards, of course. But for your needs (I'm guessing) looking at pictures on your computer screen, maybe printing one or two out - then anything over 8 mega pixels is a waste of time. Camera manufacturers try to impress people with hi-zoom, hi mega-pixel count, because those things sound like they mean something to a buyer. But after a certain point it's actually meaningless and wasted.
    So I would say have a look around for a camera that doesn't waste money on a superzoom and high pixel count and, instead, invests that extra cash on good optics. So keep within your price range, but don't be dazzled by hi-zoom specs. Instead look for a camera that has good optics at the same price. It's a good lens that yields a good picture, not lots of mega pixels.
    And if you do decide to sack the compact route (I wouldn't - there's a place in your armoury for a good compact. I use one at times) and go for a DSLR or a bridge camera (which is what I use) then you can probably think about indulging in a higher-zoom, but don't forget you will need a tripod or monopod.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Thanks both for your comments. I'm looking for a good quality compact for that pocketable ability I.e I can slip it in my coat when I take the dog training and snap some views/skies. I don't always have the time or inclination to take a DSLR (I have a long term loan from my next door neighbour of a Nikon D80 but it's heavy and bulky camera).

I have also looked at the Canon S120 and SX710 but I am seriously leaning towards the RX100. Has a good lens, is pocketable and doesn't have the mega zoom you talk about. The local LCE really rate it and while small, I quite liked it when checking it out.
    Would be interesting to see if anyone has any real life experience with it.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I did understand why you posted the details on the Sony RX100 m1 & your interest to see if anyone has any real life experience with it. I would like to add the Nikon range of cameras Nikon D80 accessories are usually far cheaper than the likes of Canon etc.. & some very valuable comments I too would take into consideration made by Humakt.
    Regards
    David

Hi,
    I'm a fan of compact cameras for the reasons you state - pocketability. don't have an DSLR, but do have a couple of bridge cameras.
    I have had a TZ60 since summer last year and I'm really pleased with it. I've had a 20x zoom Canon SX240 but couldn't get on with it, mainly 'cos I couldnt hold it steady when on high zoom and I really prefer to have a viewfinder too.
    I decided on the TZ60 because of the lens, viewfinder, zoom and image quality. I mostly take landscapes and nature shots, so a high zoom can be useful for birds or wildlife. Having + using the viewfinder makes such a difference to stability - especially when using a high zoom. I'm able to get very crisp shots at high magnifications.
    A lot comes down to personal preferences, but I highly rate my TZ60

Don't forget the 2nd hand market - I use a Canon G9, terrific lens, great control and built like a tank

I had a Panasonic TZ60 but found it a bit fiddly to use.

I also have an Olympus Stylus 1 which does every thing I need from a "travel" camera
    Last edited by happybonzo; 28-01-2016 at 05:19 AM. Reason: fat finger typing
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/