Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Out

Alone in the Wilderness
    Thanks for the replies, all good advice guys.
    I think after taking into consideration everything said I've decided that it's probably best for me to just do a few half day or day long trips. This way I can test gear and practice skills without committing to a over night stay. It'll give me a chance to practice setting up a tarp, getting a fire going etc and by the time I get a bit of experience from this we should be in to the Spring with all the advantages it brings. By this point I should be better equipped to camp out for the night. It's also a good idea although it hadn't occurred to me that I can pack everything I might possibly need and just leave it in the car so it's available if needed.
    As for location, there really is no need for me to go too far from the house as I am lucky enough to live within a 10 minute drive of 4/5 good secluded woods to camp but I will camp in close proximity to the car. I'll also be sure to take a first aid kit etc.

Anyway I'm rambling on a bit now. I'm over in the states for work just now so it'll be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to get out but I'll let you's know how I get on.

Thanks again
    Carter

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    to the forum Carter. I'm a lowlander Central belt but I'm fair travelled including the highlands of Scotland. Good advice from the forum members & remember when your up in the highland estates beware of the ghillies seek permission to practice Bushcraft & follow the Countryside code. Seeing your State side why not try out some of that good old USofA hospitality & practice your Bushcraft skills in the warmth..
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Thanks for the replies, all good advice guys..
    I'm over in the states for work just now so it'll be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to get out but I'll let you's know how I get on.
    Thanks again
    Carter