Thread: Kolrosing on Bee-Tree

Kolrosing on Bee-Tree

I wonder if I committed a bushcraft sin LOL...some time back I went out and *gasp* bought a nice piece of Bee-Tree/Linden/Basswood to do some engraving. Well, I guess I could have cut a section from local Bee-Tree, but that would have taken a lot longer because the wood would need to be cured, and finding perfectly seasoned/cured Bee-Tree without defects is not easy...

Anyway, I made several pattern templates over a series of a few months, and it gradually evolved into what you see below, completed last month:

All carved with the finer blade on my Victorinox Huntsman .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Ha! The Hiker within a leaf within an arrowhead, within a circle. That's good, very effective and distinctive.

i really like that mate.. great work.. how long did it take you to actually carve?

Thanks, guys .

Didn't take too long to carve, deciding what I wanted to engrave took A LOT longer. Lots of template designing on scrap paper and consideration. In the end I decided to pick a few things that I feel represent my region.

The arrowhead was patterned from actual quartz artifacts found throughout the East coast...not sure what the name of this type of arrowhead is, I only know that artifacts with that shape have been found all over the place. For the background I chose hills, or I guess they could be mountains depending on one's interpretation. They symbolise the lumpy-bumpy geological structure we have. For the "sky" I was stumped for a little while, because the standard sky, even a sunset seemed to be lacking something. So I referred back to Native history of the region, and without q
    uestion, one of the most important trees to the indigenous peoples was the birch, of which we have 9 species, 3 of which are classified as rare. Even then, I didn't want to get rid of the sky idea, but then I realised that the "v" shaped black scars (not sure what the correct botanical name is) in a way look like birds. I also remembered reading somewhere that Natives once thought those marks to be made by a bird of prey, according to their mythologies. The colour of Paper and Grey Birch bark is white, expressing the blanket of snow that covers the mountains down to the valleys in winter. The leaf is Red Maple...representing our beautiful autumnal foliage, as well as maple syrup, for which the region has become synonymous. The hiker inside the leaf could be anyone really, though I engraved it with an image of me in mind . Still, I forgot to do some tiny scratches for a beard LOL.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Nicely done!
    How big is it and what's the intended purpose?
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

24 cm x 18 cm. Well, for now, it's a wall-hanger . But the original intent was to convey what I see that epitomises the New England region from an outdoor point-of-view.

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin