Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who's daring enough to try ?

who's daring enough to try ?

24 hour paracord survival challenge

great video... not sure id wanna be bear foot in those conditions.... but this dude is clearly more bad ass than me! haha... interesting concept.. personally i think iv probably become overly reliant on my knife in bushcraft and "survival" situations.. mainly because i enjoy using it and have never actually been in a life or death wilderness situation with or without it. saying that, not only when im out doing bushcraft but everyday at work my knife is on my hip and only comes off once im home for the eveneing, and back on again when i get dressed on a morning... so i dont mind depending on it too much as chances are, if i need it. ill have it! saying that - this vid has def inspired me to think outside the box and practice afew things that i wouldnt normally do! because, you never know!

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Interesting video although I would always struggle a bit if someone said..." Suppose you find yourself deep in the wilderness with one match and a ball of string" ( or similar... maybe just a paracord bracelet).. My answer would be, Well you're a dipstick for getting yourself into that situation and no, I'm not going to pay you for a £250 course just in case....
    Seriously..I appreciate it's about being inventive, self confident with practical skills, self reliance etc: but sometimes I wonder if modern life is so humdrum for some people that deep inside they long to be in a survival situation and I don't mean the common one where they've just lost their Internet connection or their Hokey Cokey mobile phone battery has gone flat..

Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    Interesting video although I would always struggle a bit if someone said..." Suppose you find yourself deep in the wilderness with one match and a ball of string" ( or similar... maybe just a paracord bracelet).. My answer would be, Well you're a dipstick for getting yourself into that situation and no, I'm not going to pay you for a £250 course just in case....
    Seriously..I appreciate it's about being inventive, self confident with practical skills, self reliance etc: but sometimes I wonder if modern life is so humdrum for some people that deep inside they long to be in a survival situation and I don't mean the common one where they've just lost their Internet connection or their Hokey Cokey mobile phone battery has gone flat..
    Could not have said it better.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

im gonna do it with just a knife, in 3 weeks time when its proper cold, and probably snowing.

then in summer, i will try again, with zero items.

cant call myself a true bushcrafter untill ive done it with nothing.

Chris take some back up kit with you, 'proper cold' can lead to being 'proper dead' if you don't have kit with you.

Saxon, spot on post mate.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Well stated, John...for some, a "survival situation" is living without the internet for a week or *gasp* a month. lol

This guy reminds me a lot of Cody Lundin. He's very down-to-Earth, laid-back, and if I'm not mistaken, he's the same guy who made an excellent hand-drill tutorial. Would I do this? Perhaps in the future, but as for now I doubt I could create an ember as I am still learning friction fire. Of course, for only 24 hours, I think anyone would do just fine without, unless we're talking about doing this experiment in the chill of winter.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Well stated, John...for some, a "survival situation" is living without the internet for a week or *gasp* a month. lol

This guy reminds me a lot of Cody Lundin. He's very down-to-Earth, laid-back, and if I'm not mistaken, he's the same guy who made an excellent hand-drill tutorial. Would I do this? Perhaps in the future, but as for now I doubt I could create an ember as I am still learning friction fire. Of course, for only 24 hours, I think anyone would do just fine without, unless we're talking about doing this experiment in the chill of winter.
    If I was to do this in winter for 24 hours , it would have to be in a place with lots, and lots of snow, and I would want a spade instead of cord...I'd be so comfy :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    If I was to do this in winter for 24 hours , it would have to be in a place with lots, and lots of snow, and I would want a spade instead of cord...I'd be so comfy :-)
    When I was younger, the few times we had a heavy winter with plenty of snow accumulation, I experimented with snow caves, using the snow itself as an insulator. Back then I was so surprised that I felt warm in my snug shelter. And one time in particular, it was well below the freezing mark at night, with strong winds whipping snow through the countryside. I headed out across the street into the meadows where the town employees cut the timothy hay that grows there twice a year. I knew they had left a few bundles, and though there wasn't much snow on the ground (no more than 20 cm), I figured I would put together a little shelter made from the snow and hay bundles, just big enough to cover my body. I slept for several hours on the snow that was on the ground, quite comfy with my vintage Sorels and "eskimo" (as my classmates called it) parka. The hay was thicker along the side walls parallel to my body, and the roof was made from sections of other bundles that broke off in frozen pieces when I tired to move them to construct the shelter. For quite a while I listened to the roar of the gales, feeling rather pleased with myself for improvising and being comfortable at that . And then at around 01:00, I woke up and realised I had to go to school the next day, and walked back home. I wanted to stay there all night...it was an awesome experience.

Aside from that, last year I missed my chance to build a quinzee, because we had 160 cm accumulation for the season. But I didn't know what to expect, especially since December was a complete wash-out with spring-like temperatures, and there was only one brief snowstorm in November. Then came Jack Frost with his ice giants knocking on our door in mid January, and we had snow up until late March.

If there's one thing I learned about winter here, it's that nothing is consistent year-to-year, and looking at the actual data recorded by NOAA, there is no such thing as a "normal" anything because of the dramatic fluctuations each winter season. Weirder still is that this unpredictability was known since the early 1900s when the state started recording official weather data.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCraft View Post
    im gonna do it with just a knife, in 3 weeks time when its proper cold, and probably snowing.

then in summer, i will try again, with zero items.

cant call myself a true bushcrafter untill ive done it with nothing.
    I did 2 no gear challenges, summer and autumn and fully intend to do a winter one. The reports for them are over at BCUK. Great fun and an eye opener if you have the required skill set. Although I did take a couple of rabbit snares more in an attempt to keep it legal, I'm more than capable of setting natural traps and was even forced to prove that to the people that set me the challenge to be allowed the snares.
    Cordage was one thing I REALLY missed. So in light of that fact ice started learning to twist my own. Its also where I found the piece of steel to make the famous Wilson

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=134344
    Last edited by mick91; 23-01-2016 at 10:35 PM.