Thread: Chaga Tinder

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Chaga Tinder

hello,
    I've been processing this conk of Chaga from late 2015. Due to the severe weather heavy rain storms etc.. I was unable to access the fallen Birch tree's in the nearby British Telecom yard next to where I live. One tree in particular was host to a huge conk originally spotted I thought was a knot, but due to the area being drenched & safety warnings over the dead fall I had to be patient & wait to access the bounty. Having permission to cut away the conk by B.T from the remaining stump of the tree late December, it has now been processed & cut into lumps of around 20-30g in weight & shared out with my Bushcraft friends. I've placed my bridge steel striker which measures 8cm x 3cm near a zip lock bag as to gauge the size of the Chaga. I'm adding this zip lock bag & contents into my FSK. I've got a few days out soon honing the fire lighting skills in winter, temperature at present around -3C dropping the next few days to minus -15C, a good opportunity to use some of this up in fire lighting skills. I'll share some of this Chaga & flint I've received with those I'm teaching the skills to. I was given some processed Chaga earlier to supplement what I had in stock.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	13525

sounds awesome david, let us know how you get on in the -temps... ! have fun

Shep

Handled a huge lump of chaga last week on Dartmoor. It originally came from further north of the globe and I was amazed how much it changes hands for.

Whats it like crumbled, does it take a spark as a powder.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Neil I was out over the weekend we had snowfall, so an impromptu visit to the woodlands to hone the winter Bushcraft skills. Used a piece as a pass around ember & the dust did take a spark. Yes I did know that this stuff is expensive. I wouldn't use it for tea that's for sure, as the area I procured it from the ground is allegedly contaminated from the old steel works over the years (now long gone) & there's some dodgy contaminants buried on various sites dotted around the area. Chaga's purely for fire lighting creating an ember nothing else.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Handled a huge lump of chaga last week on Dartmoor. It originally came from further north of the globe and I was amazed how much it changes hands for.Whats it like crumbled, does it take a spark as a powder.