Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightweight Camp Tucker

The weekly main shopping trip was a little more expensive today. At the moment I have some onions and mushrooms in the dryer. Took Riks advice by buying frozen. Cheaper and all the work is done for you. Another tray is filled with an 800g tin of chopped tomatoes.

The packet tomato soup is a great idea but I have never personally found one that I like, apart from the Heinz sticks that have paste in them. I think experimenting is all part of it and I have my eyes on a tin of haggis in the cupboard for my next tryout !.

I also have a load of empty tooth powder containers with snap on lids. Going to fill a load of them with herbs and spices and use them as part of my camp kitchen.

I have a local photography store that gives me loads of 35mm film cannisters when I want them. Find these useful for so many things.

Those film canisters are a much better size Jus. They are waterproof which is an added bonus. Will keep an eye out for some on the local selling sites.

Drying tinned tomatoes won't be happening again any time soon. Dried perfectly but you end up with a slight burnt aftertaste. Ok as a crispy snack but the drying process really does change the taste.

Getting quite a collection of dried foods together now. The onions and mushrooms really take no room at all up now and its looking like some really good meals are going to be made once rehydrated.

Don't forget to dry fruit, banana and strawberries are my favorite.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Don't forget to dry fruit, banana and strawberries are my favorite.
    Are these eaten "crunchy" or re-hydrated? If re-hydrated how much brandy should be used?
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

The fruits I have dried and eaten were not rehydrated. Fruit like pineapple takes on a chewy toffee like consistance. Great for snacking, especially if you are trying to shred the pounds.