Thread: wood work for wimps..

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

Wink wood work for wimps..

A few weeks ago the local surgery informed me it was time for my annual 'flu jab. In case you're a sprog and don't know, when you get to be an official Wrinklie ( or have serious health problems) the nice NHS dishes out free 'Flu jabs evey Winter.
    This year because I'm over 70 the Nurse told me I was to get a bonus stabbing...an anti Shingles vaccination!! Yippee!
    The result of this multiple spearing of my upper arms was that with 48 hours I felt like I had been Twirked by Miley Cirus..

Not feeling up to going out I srcatched around for something to do and came up with the idea of a Buck Saw made from what ever was available and using basic hand tools. Here's the result, not great but I've tested it and it works well.

Scrap softwood, my Leatherman and a little Skandi knife I made from a kit someone gave me.

Without a proper Mortise Chisel I had to improvise a socket for the cross brace.. I cut a recess and glued two flat 'cheeks' over it to make the socket.

The carving is not great but after wrapping the little knife blade with tape I managed it without any finger amputations...just.

The pins to hold the blade are a cut down ally tent peg.

I cut a recess in the cross brace to safely stow the blade, hardest part of the job. Cut out a lttle at a time and lots of sandpaper was the answer.

Some Paracord and that's it. It stows in my Bergan easily and is better than hauling a Bow Saw into the wood if I need to do any serious sawing.

Fantastic mate! Looks really nice that.
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Nice ☺

"If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Mate that's really awesome work! Really impressive given the tools used and i love the engravings. Keep up the good work mate