Thread: Dutch army tent

Dutch army tent

As above has anyone got one of these I purchased one the other day. Looked good from you tube reviews.
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

nope, but been on the look out for one for a while... let me know what you think of it once youve used it mate

I will do if imagine it needs a bit of proofing but they look good tents.
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Alone in the Wilderness
    Good Day Chaps,
    Yes, I have one of these Dutch army tents.
    These are very high quality items, with 'soldier proof' design and build. Bought mine as grade 1, no repairs or damage and wooden poles. It was re-proofed with Fabsil gold, 2.5 litres working the fabric with a brush. Now very waterproof after testing in gales and rain.
    The design is simple, beautifully so, as both sides open for easy entry wearing kit. Having this, usually gives one sheltered entrance, nice in rain. The groundsheet is very robust, built for army boots, so no need of undersheets for protection. On paper perhaps not much room, being 3ft by 8ft by 4ft high, but in practise, ample room for kit. Enough room for two small people with kit, as I have done. Ventilation is simple and very good, just a couple of flaps under the eaves.
    To put it up is also simple. Four pegs for the groundsheet, then a four section interlocking pole under each of the eaves for the doors. Next just peg out the four corners. There are two extra lines, which seem to tension the whole thing which peg out last. This builds a very strong structure and additionally, two or more of these may be zipped together to build a larger tent. Good when camp space is limited, or perhaps used for a family.
    One small point, you need to ensure that where the three door zips meet, the bottom of the gap is inside the vertical zipper. If not, water can run down the zip and into the tent. I use a couple of clothes pegs. Yes it is a bit heavy for backpacking, but if the rest of the kit is simple, then should be ok for shorter hikes. Clips on the bottom of my bergen frame, either a LK35 or Alice Large pack. along with my poncho. It can also be strapped on the motorcycle.
    In use, the single skin is fine. The tent is warm also and for some reason, very comfortable. Roomy enough to change clothes without effort, although I am not so tall. It gives a feeling of robustness and even with a strong wind, the canvas flap is quite minimal, although it can be a little noisy. I use a British army jungle bag, with liner (depending on season) and a good sleeping mat - very toasty.
    So, anyone thinking about it, go for it. Forget the laavu type tents, this is a far better choice.