Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's very quiet on here these days

Sorry to hear that Richard,hope you're keeping well besides the copd.yes you're right things change just a shock because it used to be a hive of activity on here.
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    As Jus said, things in life change and this can lead to people moving on. For me, I almost died from TB several years ago, that and Marlboro have buggered my lungs and I now have COPD; this means I can't really walk on level ground for more than a couple of hundred metres without puffing for breath...no more hiking for me sadly.

That said, I'm still interested in 'Bushcraft' (and I'm a bit of a 'Prepper') and am now enjoying passing on some basic skills to my grandson; he's now in the Beavers and next month will be old enough to join the Cub Scouts. We are having fun with https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/doc...flashcards.pdf which I printed out and and I'm teaching him map and compass skills...he's top of the class lol. If the rain stops I'll be a 'garden bushcrafter' and teach some basic fire lighting stuff.

We all change and adapt, for me I'm selling off my stoves et al and turning my 'man cave', AKA garden shed from a kit dump and into my radio shack, I'm getting more involved back into ham radio... I'll always have a Primus/Optimus stove there for a brew or breakfast though lol.

Keep the faith and get out when you can

Sent from my new Surface Pro 4 whilst in bed after Sciatic pain woke me up...Tramadol has kicked in so I'll wish you all good night
    change and adapt is right mate,.. glad being poorly hasn't stopped you doing the stuff you love all together,. im currently going through chemo... hopefully in the back end of it now.. if anything being off work and going through this has made me love bushcraft even more, not being able to get out and do it has made me realise its what i truly enjoy doing the most in my spare time, suppose it makes you realise you need to cut out the bullshit and concentrate on what you enjoy doing.....

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    I thought everyone had emigrated...
    When I see the flooding and chaos that folk to the North of me are suffering, I won't complain about the frequent rain that has been falling here in the South, just to say the woodland that I normally spend time in is a damp dripping place. The sodden fallen leaves make for treacherous slippery walking even on gently sloping ground and I found myself spending most of my time sitting in the tent watching the rain fall..
    I've been spending a lot of time on maintaining my boat, one thing about plenty of rain is it's great for rinsing off deck cleaner..without having to rig hoses..

It doesn't take long for the continual rain to make the decks and wood work look ripe for a nice growth of moss to develope, so I attacked it with the scrubber and she's looking a lot happier now.

A few weeks ago I took the local surgery up on their invitation to get the annual 'Flu jab they give to wrinklies ( that's me.. ) I did a post on another forum thinking everyone here had gone AWOL, but I'll put something in the Crafts-DIY section here anyway on a little project I did while involuntarily grounded..

May also be the time of year - ropey weather keeping everyone in and inactive.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I was brought up in the sticks (countryside) & regular extreme weather conditions we were closed off from the outside communities, so prepping for such was kinda a way of life. I knew a few poachers too & learned how to skin the fur, meat cuts & gut fish. I took an interest in Preppers from the USofA when I started reading about such way back late 70's early 80's. As I lived in the countryside I was always out & about walking camping etc.. I used to receive magazines from the USofA & later I don't know if anyone recalls 'Rucksack & Rifle' Wrexham North Wales? I received their details through Soldier Magazine early 1980's. They had a Survival type store (mail order) & produced a magazine on Survival & Prepping they also sold US Field Manuals Survival books etc.. there was an original Preppers UK register early 1980's. I thought it was a joke at the time someone in the North East of England (forgot the details so long ago) advertised in the Exchange & Mart (remember that?) & Soldier Magazine they had a detailed register of Preppers/Groups addresses or those who practised Survival skills in the UK. 1980 if memory serves me? way before the movie Rambo First Blood.
    I did have a brief moment on the other Bushcraft UK forum but that was more of a Space Cadet Port full of Chairborne & YouTube junkies. I doubt any have been beyond the big easy.. Anyway I'm a member of both NBCUK & BCUSA forums & not Facebook.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    As Jus said, things in life change and this can lead to people moving on. For me, I almost died from TB several years ago, that and Marlboro have buggered my lungs and I now have COPD; this means I can't really walk on level ground for more than a couple of hundred metres without puffing for breath...no more hiking for me sadly.

That said, I'm still interested in 'Bushcraft' (and I'm a bit of a 'Prepper') and am now enjoying passing on some basic skills to my grandson; he's now in the Beavers and next month will be old enough to join the Cub Scouts. We are having fun with https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/doc...flashcards.pdf which I printed out and and I'm teaching him map and compass skills...he's top of the class lol. If the rain stops I'll be a 'garden bushcrafter' and teach some basic fire lighting stuff.

We all change and adapt, for me I'm selling off my stoves et al and turning my 'man cave', AKA garden shed from a kit dump and into my radio shack, I'm getting more involved back into ham radio... I'll always have a Primus/Optimus stove there for a brew or breakfast though lol.

Keep the faith and get out when you can

Sent from my new Surface Pro 4 whilst in bed after Sciatic pain woke me up...Tramadol has kicked in so I'll wish you all good night
    Good to here that the skills are being passed on. I have just spent the day on Dartmoor with the Explorer Scouts undertaking navigation training and love the resources that Ordnance Survey have put together. Wet, windy and rather cold but had a lovely day out

I'm more of a lurker and watcher than a poster on this forum........but for my money its still the best UK Bushcraft forum on the net.
    Other UK Bushcraft forums may be more active, but, in my opinion, this is the one which has genuine people who get out there, are not obsessed by kit, and are tolerant/supportive as well as being very knowledgeable/experienced.
    Everything in life is a cycle and I guess that activity on forums goes that way too.

Truth be told I'm more of a walker and camper (camper van wuss) than hardcore bushcrafter, but I have a huge respect for traditional skills and knowledge which needs to be practiced, passed on, and sustained. I try to do some leathercraft and stick making and love getting out with the dogs and making a brew/bacon butty/something to eat on a stove/brewkit whilst trying to watch Mother Nature in all her moods. Living in Derbyshire on the edge of the Peak District (close to Shining Cliff Woods if anyone knows the place) makes that more easy for me than being in an urban environment.

Bushcraft - for me -covers a very wide spectrum, and its about doing things which give each of us, in our own way, pleasure and satisfaction.

Loving the hobo fishing thread - I have one of Fish's reels (as well as a couple of of my own making) and its a cracking bit of kit. Need to use it in an "appropriate" place and am trying to find somewhere suitable.
    Just me two penn'orth
    Best wishes
    Mark
    Last edited by Peaks; 10-01-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Yeah it seems fairly quiet ... I still browse the new posts for a snapshot of what's going on ...

but I rarely feel I have anything to contribute ...

nothing that hasn't been said or done already ...

as people have noted ... things change ... the "main characters" no longer contribute ...

it's not the same ...

even I'm doing different things ...

I'm building a boat which is taking nearly all of my spare / free time ...

I may post a bit about it when I get on the water but progress reports ,

even on the relevant skinboat forum , are a bit like watching paint dry !!!

Though once afloat I shall be fishing , camping / cooking on the boat ,

attending raids , and generally doing more "bushy" things

which may be more interesting to this forum !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Last edited by Whistle; 10-01-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    ......but for my money its still the best UK Bushcraft forum on the net.
    Other UK Bushcraft forums may be more active, but, in my opinion, this is the one which has genuine people who get out there, are not obsessed by kit, and are tolerant/supportive as well as being very knowledgeable/experienced.
    Well said Sir. If you could distil all of the knowledge within this forum into a Bushcraft manual/book you would have a best seller.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    "..this is the one which has genuine people who get out there, are not obsessed by kit, and are tolerant/supportive as well as being very knowledgeable/experienced." Well said Peaks.
    Regards
    David