Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's very quiet on here these days

well now I feel guilty.... I've rarely contributed but hold this forum in great regard. Primarily, we climb/mountaineer/trek/camp. I've enormous respect for the skills and knowledge on this site and wish we had the time to learn much more but with young kids we find it hard to even find the time to hand down the pitifully shallow knowledge we have. All I can say is this is a great site which is why I often dip in - I wish I had more to contribute but please be aware that I'm not the only one that has gained much from the collective expertise here. Thanks for making it a genuinely nice place to be ...... atb...... steve

Thanks fellas

I think we should acknowledge Ashleys time and efforts in keeping this site going as well as setting + maintaining the friendliness and atmosphere on the forum (along with other moderators)
    Last edited by Peaks; 11-01-2016 at 06:05 PM.

That's another area which can be a weakness on forums, the 'it's all been done before' element. It is very true that after a forum has been active for a few years it comes across that subjects repeat themselves, questions are asked that have been asked before and so on, but it will only appear that way for older members who have 'seen it all before'.

However, the recurrence of questions and topics is an essential element of keeping a forum alive. New members wishing to learn the skills and gain knowledge of outdoor craft rely on the old timers to help them along. Trying to find the answer to a specific query amongst all the posts on this forum is not an easy task, give it a go sometime. And the forum is not a reference database, it is a real time resource to actual people that may be able to help them.

And on another note, it doesn't matter what you do outdoors, whether it's light the occasional fire using something other than a match, an interest in the natural environment or a full on survivalist, this forum should and does have something for everyone and that is down to you good folks on here who take the time to help, not the folks that administer the site (unless like Ash you spend hours doing the videos and other important stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Thanks fellas

I think we should acknowledge Ashleys time and efforts in keeping this site going as well as setting + maintaining the friendliness and atmosphere on the forum (along with other moderators)
    Absolutely. Well done and thank you

Although I frequent other Facebook sites I regulary browse Natural Bushcraft's wealth of information. These other sites are ok but one thing that I don't think has been mentioned is how quick info is lost on Facebook. It takes only a matter of hours before you have to trawl through pages and pages of the days posts to find something, and even then it might be a waste of time.

As already mentioned, bushcraft forums will always have their down times and its not just up to Ash and the Mods to keep the forum running. I've had the pleasure of camping with most of the guys that run the site and know that every one of them don't have enough hours in a day to breathe, never mind post !.

I'm a prime example of a member who doesn't post a lot at the moment. TBH, I didn't spend much time out in the sticks last year due to back problems, but that will hopefully be sorted for good in the next few weeks by our good old NHS. In the meantime I will make an effort to frequent the forum more regulary.

My Bushcraft home on the Web is BushcraftUSA, but I am a member on several bushcraft forums. And the lull in posting has been noticed on several of them. I don't think Facebook or similar has much to do with it though. I feel like it's just that time of year when everyone is a little bit busier. I still try to check the forums Mon - Fri but long hours trying to make up for overspending during the holidays has taken a toll.

BushcraftUSA...hmmm, let me think..Oh yea, I had the audacity to disagree with the head honcho and he banned me lol; in fact he's very fond of banning people
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    BushcraftUSA...hmmm, let me think..Oh yea, I had the audacity to disagree with the head honcho and he banned me lol; in fact he's very fond of banning people
    You don't mean Guy de Hillbilly-Cowboy-With-Pink-Panties, do ya?
    The problem on that horrid place is that unless you suck up to their inept mods or (at the least) Guy himself, you can and probably will be banned. It is largely because of them that bushcraft has gone corporate. It's interesting how many users there have their own outdoor schools or bushcraft-related businesses. If you don't support said businesses or schools, you are "useless" in their eyes, regardless of how much meaningful content you give to the community there. Ross was kicked out because he dared to speak out against this corporate bullying as well as covered-up tracks (ie, banning people who do contribute meaningful information and so on...). Funny thing is that none of them knew he was and is an attorney LOLOLOL

Lookout BushBully...you have upset a lot of passionate outdoorsmen/women, and we do not forget
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

oh dear! never been over on that forum... looks like its the place to be if i ever want some drama! haha

I have never experienced any drama there. But have heard of past issues on a couple other sites.