Thread: The Tracking Handbook by Eddie and Perry McGee

Alone in the Wilderness

Unhappy The Tracking Handbook by Eddie and Perry McGee

A warning to anyone thinking about buying this book. The writing and grammar is very poor, frequently to the point that I couldn't work out what was meant. I have a fair amount of experience in tracking, a beginner, unfamiliar with tracking terms and methods, wouldn't stand a chance. There are factual errors. There is no logical structure to the book, which randomly jumps from one subject to another. The subject matter is rather bizarre, including lots of detailed police procedures, military procedures, search and rescue procedures, medical human anatomy terms etc, but very, very little in the way of actual visual tracking skills. I was looking forward to reading the book and even when it was clear that the presentation was poor, I ploughed on, hoping to extract a few nuggets of tracking information. However, there were no great nuggets, only a few garbled bits of tracking information.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Seriously http://www.nationaltrackingschool.co...rry-McGee.html I've read both this book & Eddie McGee's 'No Need To Die' which was THE original survival handbook, I still have it well thumbed. I was taught in the early 80's through my Armed Forces career by the man himself Eddie McGee British Parachute Regt. SAS Training Selection Staff. Perry took up the tracking school sadly after Eddie passed away. Some reads are not to everyone's tastes. I found the book of interest & easy to read. I have now over 34 years+ professional experience in both military & civvy street.
    Regards
    David
    I'll give it a..

a thumbs up and a thumbs down.... now im curious enough to give it a go myself! haha

One with Nature
    hello,
    Maybe better have a browse at the library first before a purchase BTW to the forum Andy
    Regards
    David

Alone in the Wilderness
    Thanks for the welcome David :-)

One with Nature
    hello Andy,
    No problem I should have welcomed you first to the NBCUK I hope you will stick around it's a good community to be part of but don't say I said that..
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Andy tracker View Post
    Thanks for the welcome David :-)

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Maybe better have a browse at the library first before a purchase BTW to the forum Andy
    Regards
    David
    abit of a collector of these kinds of books anyway mate so may purchase just to add to the library! they help me at work..

Samuel Hearne
    I have not read the tracking book but I have read and still got No Need To Die by Eddie McGee and will say it was one of the first books that I bought and it will stay in my collection, as I thought it was a good read.

One with Nature
    hello,
    My original well thumbed copy I bought 2nd hand from the library shop way back when I was at school.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    I have not read the tracking book but I have read and still got No Need To Die by Eddie McGee and will say it was one of the first books that I bought and it will stay in my collection, as I thought it was a good read.