Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawzall (reciprocating) saw blade knife

Wanderer
    Do you harden the blades

Most of them - I didn't harden since they were already hardened quite a bit - being saw blades - but the last few I've made, I started heat treating them anyway- even though they are pre-hardened.

Wanderer
    And how do you harden them ......I made a small knife from a circular saw blade a while ago ( pics are somewhere on this forum) but it doesn't hold a very good edge

I made a little fire brick forge from 2 fire bricks. The issue with unknown mystery steel in saw blades is that you don't really know proper temps to heat treat and temper the blades unless you can find out what the steel composition is of the blades. Otherwise you just have to make an educated guess.

Impressive work on those. Have been toying to get a pack to play around with over the summer
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

you're only young once, but immaturity lasts for ever
    4 out of 3 people struggle with maths
    there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't

That's some good stuff, but as he says in the article - in my experience (and his too), they just will not hold an edge for any length of time. Even when I heat treat them I've had ok results, but not great. It's fun to play around with them though and if you were ever in a pinch- you could make a decent blade from one. Since I posted this I've started using 1095 steel and I've gotten really good results. This is the latest one I just finished.

I've been really working to get better with each knife I make. Hopefully you can see a difference in how I've come along!

very nice. keep up the good work
    you're only young once, but immaturity lasts for ever
    4 out of 3 people struggle with maths
    there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't