Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stones in fire

As David says, the link from Ehecatl is spot on.

This is why I love our hobby/interest. To really appreciate and optimise what we are doing we have to learn a bit about rocks, weather, trees, plants, fungi, bird and animals - plus a lot more. The more I learn the more I realise there is to learn.

I'm sure our ancient ancestors didn't know an igneous rock from their elbow, but they did know which rocks worked and which didn't. No shortcuts to this knowledge, it was down to hard experience passed down from father to son.

No shortcuts for us either, you just have to get out there with people who know and learn from them. Bushcraft, in my opinion, is what you carry in your head rather than your bergan.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

i read the link. didnt really help me. it explains the science behind it, which is good to know, but only mentions 3 specific rocks to steer clear from.

im probably more neanderthal than i realise. i really need to just find out for myself. get out there, smash a bunch of rocks open, and see 1st hand what is what

I've yet to have a popper but will undoubtedly happen if I keep using stones so some good links/tips here. I recently got into dakota pits, great for a cook on and no stones needed, pain in the arse digging it out at times especially on frosty ground but worth the graft. ATB

Can't give you reputation: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ehecatl again."

Just wanted to say that's a great link, thank you.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. - Chinese Proverb

You are most welcome Bernie - afterall sharing is what we do on the NBC UK forum
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

deffo something ive thought about more recently, putting rocks into the fire, rather than just around it, to keep it contained.

i will experiment at some point, and report back with info and pics.

taking my safety glasses for sure

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Another mineral I was going to add. I was watching dare I say.. or should that be admit to such?? Bear Grylls & President Barack Obama. Bear was cooking some scavenged Salmon on what appeared to look like a piece of slate or similar flat compressed layers of stone Slate is a definite no no. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slate I've seen this explode along with similar types of compressed rock giving off shards of shrapnel when heated, it's very dangerous for those in close proximity to the fire.
    Regards
    David