Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new kit advice

Hobo

new kit advice

Hey guys I'm looking at getting my gear together to begin my bushcraft journey and was hoping to get some advice.
    I'm based in Kent and am going to be wild camping under a tarp setup in January.
    I would like gear that's going to last but still want to be slightly budget oriented.
    I have so far a:
    Mora companion
    An old in very nice shape helle knife
    Petzl head torch

I'm looking at grabbing a dd 3x3 tarp, snugpak softie elite 4, Thermarest inflatable mat what's your thoughts on these bits?
    Plus I'm still not sure what pack to get and any other things that I should add too the list.
    Thanks

Like your choices so far. You may get a little debate going over the sleep mat being inflatable and tough enough but personally I love them and never had a problem. I would look at military surplus for a decent sized cheap pack.

I'd consider the DD 4.5 X 3 rather than the 3 X 3. It can offer more protection if needed. I'd second what Justin said about military surplus.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

How / where are you sleeping, tent / hammock / floor ................ other, a breathable bivvy bag is a good cheap addition,

Are you an experienced camper? A tarp in January can be an unforgiving shelter in bad weather, get a two man tent to start off with.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Hobo
    I was thinking about the 4.5 x 3 @ehecatl although wasn't sure if it was size overkill but I have read alot of positive things about it, I wouldn't say I'm an experienced camper @rik_uk3 but getting a tent isn't something I am really after and I'm a kind of all or nothing guy and will just tough it out if the weather is against me.
    I'm looking to camp in heavily wooded areas, will be ground dwelling a bivi bag is definitely on my list not sure on which one to go for however?
    Also if the weather is really poor I was thinking of using the tarp to make the tent configuration for a bit more added protection?

Hobo
    Which mat in particular do you use in the field?

Quote Originally Posted by brucepanther View Post
    I was thinking about the 4.5 x 3 @ehecatl although wasn't sure if it was size overkill but I have read alot of positive things about it
    It is bigger than the 3X3 (obviously!) but what I like about it is that you can fold the ends in (whether on or off of the ground) and still have plenty of room.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

I use a mountain equipment 3.8 mat. its about £45 so not dirt cheap but not crazy money either.
    I'm happy with it. I've used it year round and it's been fine.
    Not used it for more than 4 nights on the trot so can't say how it would be for longer trips.
    definitely suggest a bivvy bag. I don't have one so can't recommend one but I use a Czech bed roll when ground dwelling in winter. very big and bulky so no good if your hiking out but cheap, robust and adds warmth to your bag. but your bag is plenty warm enough so if you can save up a bit longer and get a bivvy then that's probably a better option.
    I use a 3x3 tarp and find it very roomy for sleeping under. However I sometimes wish I'd gone for a larger tarp for the extra living space when the whether is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Are you an experienced camper? A tarp in January can be an unforgiving shelter in bad weather, get a two man tent to start off with.
    Yeah, what Rik said.
    The fact that you are asking the question you are suggests you may not have much wild camping experience (please do correct if wrong though) - so a winter camp out in January could be a salutary experience for the not-so experienced! It may be better to wait until milder weather so you can enjoy camping out rather than having a bad initial experience that sours you to it.
    Again, if you are an experienced camper then my apologies for assuming otherwise. But I can't help but think that an experienced camper wouldn't be asking this question in the first place!
    Anyway, to the matter in hand.
    I'd go for a 65L bag. You will hear some say how they camp out with just a 35L bag (or smaller) but what they won't tell you is how much kit they've got tied to the outside. Your belongings should be INSIDE your bag where it can be protected (especially from inclement winter weather). Scoring points by snootily insinuating that you 'only' use a 35L is neither big nor clever. That said, avoid the temptation to go for a bag that's too big. 65L is about right.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/