Thread: Bothy Life

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Bothy Life

hello,
    Links still up on BBC iPlayer & YouTube. The story of the unsung heroes of Scotland's mountains. For 50 years the volunteers of the Mountain Bothy Association have been providing shelter for people travelling through the wilder parts of the country. Great wee programme BTW well worth a watch.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s1762 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWxjScRhr_c
    Regards
    David

will check this out...

Just finished watching it, WOW, I mean I knew some of them were remote but you would need to be half goat to get there lol, thanks for the links, and there is an app for it, so I found

Thanks for the link, this would have passed me by else. I had a good old nose around a lovely little bothy in the middle of nowhere back in June. got to say I hadn't realised before then there was a whole bothy association looking after them. It's a great service and I look forward to the program.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I used to be a member of the British Mountaineering Council & had access to keys for bothies. I've been in quite a few over the years. What really gets me there are a few very small minority, which was mentioned in the programme, who vandalise these places, in this instance burned the furniture. I was in one years ago & the rafters had *mentions in pencil charcoal etc.. of those who visited or worked in the preservation of the bothie some way back to the last century pre-20th century great read BTW. It's very much like Bushcraft leave no trace only footprints, take only good memories, photographs of your stay, & take your rubbish with you.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    Thanks for the link, this would have passed me by else. I had a good old nose around a lovely little bothy in the middle of nowhere back in June. got to say I hadn't realised before then there was a whole bothy association looking after them. It's a great service and I look forward to the program.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Managed to watch a few minutes on You Tube, looks interesting. I can easily kill my monthly allowance of Internet connection time if I watch I- Player or long You Tubes, after which it costs silly money to increase connection time...Drat!...