Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 5 item survival

some good reviews on youtube...

And a bad one I've just watched, it looked like a good pot but I've been put off, not that I was going to need another

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    thats the one mate... dont have one myself YET but will be ordering one very soon... its the postage from the US thats been putting me off.. i agree though a far superior pot to the billy can
    regarding the zebra billy cans, and there flawed design, ive just found something on youtube, to counter-act the pouring issue. check it out the first 2 mins of vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_j3yjk6EZc

thick gloves to hold the hot can, would work better, but i rarely take gloves with me, so thought this might interest some people who do the same
    Last edited by ChrisCraft; 13-12-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCraft View Post
    regarding the zebra billy cans, and there flawed design, ive just found something on youtube, to counter-act the pouring issue. check it out the first 2 mins of vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_j3yjk6EZc

thick gloves to hold the hot can, would work better, but i rarely take gloves with me, so thought this might interest some people who do the same
    The flawed desig comes from the fact that the so called Zebra billy can is produced as a lunch box for Thais in Thailand.
    My wife, who happened to be Thai went all "Farang ting tong ba ba boh boh mak mak" when I attempted to cook in mine, and hence
    destroying the nice and shiny lunch box I had bought. She intended to pack my lunch in it...oh and "Farang ting tong ba ba boh boh mak mak" means something like:
    "Foreigners are all crazy lunatics"

ANyway, I have long since discarded the whole idea of a billy can. They are just impractical. Get yourself a tea pot with a big lid, like the GSI stainleess steel teapot" The big lid makes it easy to clean, and you can cook anything in it. It has a pouring spout and a handle that does not get hot.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

tea pots a nice idea, and will save alot of money going that way, for a starter kit. i spotted a 2 litre for £9 posted on ebay. no hanger on it tho, so will have to stick it directly into the fire.

for me personally, there too low capacity for my needs, and hard to find one with a handle on too, so it can be hung above a fire. all steel construction is needed too, any plastic will melt.

this is about as good as i could find. a 3 litre, almost all metal, the wooden lid knob may set on fire if the fire got a bit lairy, but unlikely.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000ML-Out...MAAOSwT6pVuXrk

that particular one works out £2 cheaper than the 3.5 litre zebra pot, a little less capacity.

id still go for the zebra tho myself, the kettle isnt really carry friendly with bits sticking out, and its not something you can leave out over night un-attended, you might get bugs, etc flying into / crawling into, the spout hole, if not plugged up with something.

i would rather take one of those pathfinder bush pots, over the zebra, but there twice the price, so in a world of compromise, i think there the best bang for buck version.

thats just my opinion tho, everyone uses different gear, and has different requirements. one mans rubbish, is another mans gold, as they say

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nesting-Bi...3ZSHOq_XdXZNPA

2, 4 , and 6 pint pots, aluminum, and work great, I've been using this type for the best part of fifty years. The first person to say there are health risks using aluminum is talking utter bullococks.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

how do they hold up when stuck in the fire rik... dont they melt / warp ?

Hold up no problem.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

ive only used ali pans with stoves in the past.. never been brave enough to throw them in the furnace

ive thrown a few ali coke cans into the fire before, to see what would happen, and they vapourised within seconds. there only thin tho.
    Last edited by ChrisCraft; 16-12-2015 at 06:00 PM.

My backpack (60L)
    My goldenberg Axe (it's between a hatchet and small forest axe)
    My knife
    My fire steel
    My hygiene kit - basically has toothbrush, pumice stone, nail file, floss, toothpaste, soon a pine tar soap and the tin that houses it all.