Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 5 item survival

Dear me, I seem to have de-railed the thread....oh no! :P
    I'll get me coat...
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

no worries mate. its just opinions isnt it... were all different, its all good.

forget about it, and celebrate the new year with a quadrouple whisky

Is maith liom usige beatha .
    I'll drink to that!
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Excuse the minor thread resurrection. I'm new to the forum and enjoyed reading this thread
    Whilst totally hypothetical, I think there's a lot of value in considering kit vs skills like this, and the vagueness of the environment and the 4 season element adds to this. (It's made me decide I need to really work on my natural cord making skills, and learn how to make a sharpening stone in the wild...)
    Anyway, I think I'd take
    1. Big knife like an ESEE Junglas or a thick parang.
    2. Firesteel.
    3. Steel water bottle, probably around 2 litres capacity.
    4. Shotgun if I can carry lots of ammo. 22 rifle if I'm limited by weight/size.
    5. ?
    I can't decide between a knife sharpening stone, an arctic sleeping bag, a load of paracord, a poncho, or a Jerry can full of Drambuie...

glad you liked it, not everyone does

you can sharpen most knives with almost any rock, with time, patience, and practice.
    i find convex edge blades being the best to work with, when using just straight up stones / rocks / boulders / a cliff edge, whatever you can find

natural cord can be as simple as just pulling up thin tree roots, to use to tie things together, or you can take it much further and learn how to braid / plait fibres, to create string, and even rope, but theres alot of work involved in that, preparing the fibers, and repetition, lots of patience. i dont want to put you off tho, give it a try sometime, if you feel compelled to learn.

all handy skills to know tho, even if theyll never be used in a life or death situation. it gives a backpacker / bushcrafter, more confidence and self worth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCraft View Post
    i wanted to get peoples opinions on items... specifically for long term survival. a year +

necessity, vs. luxury, what would you go for.

weight and size isnt a factor, but obviously you need to be able to carry all your equiptment in a regular 65-ish litre rucksack. so no gazebo's, or kitchen sinks, for example.

whatever clothing your wearing will not be counted as items. obviously not 15 layers and 4 hats, that'll be cheating, but whatevers normal for mildy chilly.

all items need to be separate, and cant be joined together and counted as 1 (a knife, with a sharpening stone attached, for example)

and bearing in mind this is long term survival, and you'll need to stay warm & dry, through all seasons, or you might get sick, and pop your clogs

i think my items would be :

1) hand axe

2) 3.5 litre billy can

3) 2 litre stainless steel bottle

4) winter-spec sleeping bag

5) a 20 litre keg of whisky (to keep me sane)
    I agree with 4 of the 5 not so sure about the whiskey as could do with out it, think I would be kinda lonely so would like a woman as number 5 or maybe put the whisky into her so would have a drunk woman or would that be considered a luxury ( or is that totally insane ) lol

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Pretty simple really

1, Knife
    2, Axe
    3, billy can
    4, fire kit
    5, Czech army bed roll
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCraft View Post
    i wanted to get peoples opinions on items... specifically for long term survival. a year +

necessity, vs. luxury, what would you go for.

weight and size isnt a factor, but obviously you need to be able to carry all your equiptment in a regular 65-ish litre rucksack. so no gazebo's, or kitchen sinks, for example.

whatever clothing your wearing will not be counted as items. obviously not 15 layers and 4 hats, that'll be cheating, but whatevers normal for mildy chilly.

all items need to be separate, and cant be joined together and counted as 1 (a knife, with a sharpening stone attached, for example)

and bearing in mind this is long term survival, and you'll need to stay warm & dry, through all seasons, or you might get sick, and pop your clogs

i think my items would be :

1) hand axe

2) 3.5 litre billy can

3) 2 litre stainless steel bottle

4) winter-spec sleeping bag

5) a 20 litre keg of whisky (to keep me sane)
    with looking at your list i have a couple of major questions.

How good is your mental well being and how are you going to keep going? what is your goal?
    Where abouts are you thinking of being?
    How good is you clothing for normal? mild chilly weather and what about heavy rain/sleet/snow conditions?
    How good is your fire skills especially with no fire making kit in wet windy conditions?
    How is good is your knowledge on wild medicals and plants?
    How good is your hunting/trapping skills?
    How good is your water sources is it free of pesticides and chemicals?
    Do you have access to a large area of private land with full permission to hunt/gather on with good forested and oipen areas and good water sources?

There is an awful lot to think about and make sure you are very confident at doing before even thinking of trying anything like this....just look at such things as Alone on discovery people did not make it very far, let alone a year. Or some of the stuff survivorman tries. There is reasons why people put limits on it. If you want to do the live a long term survival/bushcraft way I bet you would need a heck of a lot more than 5 items look at THIS parts of it can been seen on you tube he did a lot of prep and lived quite well, but he had a lot more than 5 or even ten items.
    Last edited by TinkyPete; 20-04-2016 at 12:20 PM.