Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: still trying to get out and about..

still trying to get out and about..

As some of you may know i am a Gamekeeper in the north west, unfortunately literally just before my shoot season started i found out i was actually very poorly. - timing was a complete bitch,, hard graft all year then miss the fun bit!

was just wondering how many people are still getting out and about and bagging afew bits and bobs?

luckily my pals still make sure i get out and about rather than just sitting around, still getting out and bagging afew bunnies with the .17hmr and will be out with the .243 soon to bag a roe for the freezer..

happy hunting folks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11825110_377998225742572_250611657674727909_n.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	13465

my little .17... a very handy little work gun.. wicked little round.

Wanderer
    I can sympathize i worked all through hunting season the only shots I got off where 50 yards from my backdoor via camera.

Name:	SUNP0087.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	13623

Name:	SUNP0005.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	13622
    Ill make up for it this year, actually I'm thinking of hunting with a bow.

Most of my outings at the moment involve training youngsters for various challenges and expeditions. I have managed to get a little down time but shooting seems to be limited to thinning the rats that have appeared from next doors garden.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I've not popped a pellet in long enough. I have barely been out fishing in the last 18 months either. Now I'm getting back onto a level I must make time for such things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

i finished my chemo and have got back to work.. making up for lost time with the shotguns .. it seems the corvids have taken advantage of my absence the last few months.. enjoying thinning them out..

anyone out hunting these days? bagged a nice roe the other day which was causing problems around the feeders and did my usual xmas treats for family providing a pheasant and a couple of partridges for everyone...was alot of plucking!

hoping my mate will help me make some venison sausages and jerky after i have put all the prime cuts in the freezer... never made any sausages or jerky before looking forward to learning..

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    anyone out hunting these days? bagged a nice roe the other day which was causing problems around the feeders and did my usual xmas treats for family providing a pheasant and a couple of partridges for everyone...was alot of plucking!

hoping my mate will help me make some venison sausages and jerky after i have put all the prime cuts in the freezer... never made any sausages or jerky before looking forward to learning..
    Have not hunted in years. Want to take up Ptarmigan and hare shooting again, but my health is preventing that. So fishing it is then.
    My cousin on the other hand lives and breathes shooting. He must have bagged 10-15 foxes so far this season. All suffering from scabies, and would not have survived the winter. He also shoots a lot of geese. Both species taken down with a .222 rifle. Got a couple of his geese in the freezer :-)

Here in Norway the .22LR is the smallest caliber allowed for hunting. Air rifles are illegal for that. ANd the .22LR can only be used for animals up to the size of a hare (but is also illegal of hare).
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I hope 2017 brings you better health and lots more outdoors activity Shepherd!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcrusher View Post
    I hope 2017 brings you better health and lots more outdoors activity Shepherd!
    +1 to that! 👍