Thread: DD Travel Hammock / Bivi

DD Travel Hammock / Bivi

I'm considering getting a DD Travel Hammock for the following reasons:-

1) "Santa" has asked me for some ideas
    2) When the mutt comes with me, he doesn't like swinging* so I get a much better night's sleep if I set up on the ground

Should I be considering any alternatives? (Leaving the dog behind is not always an option)

Do you have any experiences (good or bad) regarding the DD Travel hammock?

* Last time he kept on fidgeting and the entire hammock ended up swinging from side to side. Each time he tried to regain his balance he ended up increasing the momentum. His eyes were like two saucers. I had to un zip and put my hand on the ground to stop it.

Thanks,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

No experience with the Travel but instead of a hammock for the pooch why not a small beach type shelter / carp fishing bivvi type thing ?

Edit, just thought, do you have to be with him ?

Thanks Alan. Whilst he deosn't have to be with me, I'd prefer not to have to carry the additional accomodation, plus being short coated he benefits from being in the hammock. That said, I can see the advantage of seperate accommodation when he's in one of those flatulant phases.

This photo was taken at about 08:00am on a Sunday morning - Dog was still sparko but his legs were keeping the hammock roof out of my face.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BennyHammock2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	13463
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

The last time I looked on DD's website there where specials on a variation of the jungle hammock, not at the pc at the moment but iirc they were £70, not sure if they had the waterproof underside but for the extra cost you get all that extra space once tyrre spreader bars are in.
    Hope I'm helping at least a little lol

EDIT: on the pc now but can't see that Jungle hammock
    Last edited by bopdude; 30-11-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Samuel Hearne
    I would get a small hammock just for him I have seen a small hammock that has a zip that you can put your gear in to hang below your own so maybe that would work?

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    lol, photo of dog sleeping in the hammock made me laugh! Man he looks comfy.

I'm just experimenting with switching from a DD Travel Hammock to a 'ticket to the moon' hammock instead, not because I'm not happy with the Travel hammock of anything, it has served me well for years and I would still recommend them. One thing I would note though is that a 'ticket to the moon' hammock does seem to use a lot more fragile / thinner material so I don't know if I would trust it with dogs claws and the likes, a DD Travel hammock has thicker material and probably more suitable for dogs claws.

I don't own a dog so I've never taken one camping with me, but would it not be an option to set your hammock slightly lower and take some sort of foam-mat or bed for him so he's below or beside you almost? So you're just a couple of feet off the ground or something? Perhaps not the best if the weather is bad.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

The super light jungle hammock might be worth a look for versatility, bit pricier than others in the DD range but can be used as a hooped bivvy also, would love it if santa brought me one of those lol

I have the superlight and wouldn't let a dog anywhere near it. The material on the travel hammock, which I also have, is much more substantial.

Consider a 2 person parachute material hammock. Becomes a suite bivvy shell for you and the dog, and is very comfortable when used as a hammock with a lot of extra room.