Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pathfinder scout clone?

yeah i saw his work recently, i really like his frontier style knives they look really rustic ... may well look to buying one in the future...

i picked up the scout clone yesterday.. will use in for afew tasks then post some pics... and down the line will put a review up on how it is working out for me.. first impressions. very big, very heavy duty. i love it

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to seeing a review on that

ATB, Shug
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

With the Jeff White knives I know a lad who bought one of them from the pathfinder site and when he was doing some normal cutting at one of our meets, it chipped on him. He was not abusing the knife in any way. He got in touch and sent them pictures of it straight away and they offered to replace the the knife there and then and would send out a replacement to him staright away. Great custoimer service and yes they knew he was in the UK at the time and still did not have an issue with it. possible bad tempering on that particular knife or they could have had a bad batch as there was no quibble about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkyPete View Post
    With the Jeff White knives I know a lad who bought one of them from the pathfinder site and when he was doing some normal cutting at one of our meets, it chipped on him. He was not abusing the knife in any way. He got in touch and sent them pictures of it straight away and they offered to replace the the knife there and then and would send out a replacement to him staright away. Great custoimer service and yes they knew he was in the UK at the time and still did not have an issue with it. possible bad tempering on that particular knife or they could have had a bad batch as there was no quibble about it.
    Knives shouldn't chip like that, so any good cutler will recognise a fault, and deal with it accordingly. It happens to all makers at some time or another, particularly now as stock removal has became the norm.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

Yep, that is why they did not have a problem with sending out a replacement straight away, he reported it to them on the friday night our time so was afternoon theirs and they said one would be in the post sent from the USA by Saturday lunchtime, I thought that was good of them. They were happy with the pictures and said he didn't even need to send the old knife back at his expense.

Actually that's pretty good. I'll have to do business with them at the future knowing that.
    Border Bushcrafters

The chip you're referring to comes down to one thing. The customer. People these days want super hardened knives, that's all well and good to a degree, but when it gets to a point super hard becomes super brittle. 60+ HRC is a marketing gimmick imo. It will hold an edge very well, assuming one is using the knife to open letters, cut through a knot battonning, you're going to have problems. Personally I harden to somewhere between 56 - 59 hrc. That being said Mark does know his stuff so probably a one off fault that chip.
    If you want super hard, 2 words. Tungsten, carbide. Its literally as hard as you get (far harder than any steel knife) but bear in mind. We made razors out of bronze for thousands of years with no issue!

Quote Originally Posted by mick91 View Post
    The chip you're referring to comes down to one thing. The customer. People these days want super hardened knives, that's all well and good to a degree, but when it gets to a point super hard becomes super brittle. 60+ HRC is a marketing gimmick imo. It will hold an edge very well, assuming one is using the knife to open letters, cut through a knot battonning, you're going to have problems. Personally I harden to somewhere between 56 - 59 hrc. That being said Mark does know his stuff so probably a one off fault that chip.
    If you want super hard, 2 words. Tungsten, carbide. Its literally as hard as you get (far harder than any steel knife) but bear in mind. We made razors out of bronze for thousands of years with no issue!
    The knife in question was a Jeff White 1095 with a 59hrc, So it would be an oddball dud. Having seen a Ben Orford in 2 pieces, I know everyone gets the odd bad one. It's just the nature of the beast.
    Border Bushcrafters

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    The knife in question was a Jeff White 1095 with a 59hrc, So it would be an oddball dud. Having seen a Ben Orford in 2 pieces, I know everyone gets the odd bad one. It's just the nature of the beast.
    Oh I see. I've used a Bush HD by him and was fairly impressed. That is true everyone gets the odd dodgy one, I've had a Gerber gator machete break clean so it shows you even mass produced you still get the odd one. I've also had a spydy have the tip snap off because it was unsuitibly hard. Personally I just regrind em one of my favourite knives I've ever used was actually a cheap kunai that had been butchered handled and reground. Horses for courses isn't it!