Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need new boots...any recommendations?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    To be honest Iain, I've only walked about 50 miles in these boots but I must say that early indications are that they are great. That said, when I walk on the moors, I wear a pair of Berghaus Yeti gaiters which allow me to wade through rivers almost up to my knees and won't let any water in. I have found them to be supremely comfortable to walk in, so light that you feel like you are skipping up the hills and no blisters to report. However, I have managed to bruise the big toe on my right foot where it was bumping against the end of the boot on descents. I think this is where I didn't have the boot laced tightly enough under my gaiter and was too lazy to stop and sort it out. Not only that but I still have black toe nail on my little toe on the same foot which I got when wearing my Meindl Borneos so I think it's too early to blame the boot for my bruised toe.

Now, I know that for a lot of people £100+ is a great deal of money to pay for a pair of boots and I wouldn't recommend anyone buys a pair of boots without trying them on first unless they know precisely what size they need. Of course, you will only know what size you require by trying the boot on. Maybe, if I was buying a second pair of these, I would look for the replacements on line in the same size.

The other thing to bear in mind is that, unless you are planning on walking long distances, expensive boots are just not necessary. If you only intend walking a couple of miles max to your intended location, then I would suggest a good old pair of wellies for autumn, winter and spring use. These are waterproof and allow you to wear several pairs of warm socks to keep your inactive feet warm. In summer, why not wear a pair of leather 'army' type boots or even a pair of Karrimore type trainers or cheap walking boots? Both can be had for about £20 for the pair. I wore my German Para boots when we went out this Sunday which were perfect for what we were doing (which wasn't a lot).

Anyway, to cut this overly long story short, I really like the Salomons. I haven't had them long enough to give them a really good appraisal but I will be wearing them to climb Slieve Donard, Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon at the end of May, so I can give you a proper report then.

Hope this helps

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Thanks Martin,
    I walk everywhere realy as i dont drive, sometimes far sometimes not. I have a pair of Karrimor Orkney II which to be honest are surprisingly good for the money (£50) they are excellent for the woods as they dont leek and have reasonable support, the thing is i want to start going a bit further afield this year and the Karrimors start to rub me at the end of a long walk (the padding on the ankle bone).
    My friend has asked me to do Snowden and a couple of other treks this year for charity so i wanted to invest in some better boots for both walking and camping, they must fit both puposes as i intend to do some trecking/camping this year with my son.

I must say that the Salamons' look the part and are currently top of my wanted list - but i'll add your advice to that i have previously recieved and go to a decent store and try some different pairs on, see which fit best.

So, thanks again for the heads up Martin and i'll let you know how i get on ! lol.........Iain.
    There's no brew without fire.

I bought a pair of Karrimor KSB's back in 1994, apart from the sole of one boot starting to come off there is nothing wrong with then still (bit of glue and they're great work boots), but I bought a new pair of Karrimor Glencoe's recently. The 1st time I wore them I did the Pen y fan horseshoe with no probs. I'm hoping they last as long as my last pair of KSB's. Oh and this pair are much lighter than my last pair. and field and trek are having a massive sale at the moment.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor...ts-mens-183107

Tribal Elder
    Well I went with the mendl Burmas....very very good!

i ve gotta few pairs of lowa and wouldnt change them at all great boots cost about 140 gbp

Peasant
    I've got karrimors, bought 'em before christmas and I'm very happy with them - relatively cheap too as you can find them for around £50 if you look hard enough.

I then made the mistake of getting karrimor trainers for when boots aren't really needed, However for what we do boots are always the first choice (for me anyway) so the trainers just get used for pretty much anything else. They're good for walking the dog though

Don't forget a big tub of dales dubbin too, great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    I've got karrimors, bought 'em before christmas and I'm very happy with them - relatively cheap too as you can find them for around £50 if you look hard enough.

I then made the mistake of getting karrimor trainers for when boots aren't really needed, However for what we do boots are always the first choice (for me anyway) so the trainers just get used for pretty much anything else. They're good for walking the dog though

Don't forget a big tub of dales dubbin too, great stuff.
    I wear Karrimor KSB aspen 2s. They have stood up to Dartmoors marsh and rocks, Northamptonshire woodlands and Oxfordshires boggy flood plains. Light as a feather and super comfy. Managed to pick them up for £33 at TK Maxx. Great value boot. the only thing I would have liked, was a slightly higher cut to give a little more support to the ankle, but don't regret the purchase one little bit. Don't think I would have regretted it, if I had paid £60+ either.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Tribal Elder
    Would like to reiterate my recommendation for meindl boots now that they have actually went through the worst that Scotland can offer...and my feet were dry all day long

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    im not loaded i just want dry feet :'(
    Go to TKmax. I picked up my fur lined winter walking boots by karrimor for £40. My father bought them me as I was hiking 20 odd miles in the snow in shaolin kungfu trainers. I never have two pennies to rub together but put your heart into something and something nice turns up

So that's my winter boot. My summer boot which I will probably wear all year round now, because of my love affair with them were bought for me by an old army buddy, when he heard about my 28 mile walk from malmesbury to bristol in a pair of charity shop trainer. They are the gortex lined scarpa. £129. Brilliant boot very strong and also flexible for kneeling around the fire. Hardcore mountain and winter crampon boots don't bend well. I am very happy with them.

I am no kit yuppy. I can make do with anything but seriously believe when ypu do something passionately magical things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jikido View Post

I am no kit yuppy. I can make do with anything but seriously believe when ypu do something passionately magical things happen.
    Some great words there friend.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel