Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need new boots...any recommendations?

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    The trouble is, you can get leather boots with a Goretex lining; I wouldn't but you can get it. It's a bit like the wool argument I guess, there are better materials out there but there will always be a market for traditional materials.

The Meindl Borneos are a very traditional leather walking boot. Pretty much bomb proof, very comfy but cost an arm and a leg and weigh a lot compared to a synthetic boot.

I'm still not sure which is best.

Martin
    I tried on some borneos last night, and I was about to buy them until I forgot my pin number...doh!

Definetely what I need though, felt like they could take a pounding and wading through long wet grass

i have the meindls as well and they are great boots. but i have just got a pair of german paras and i love em best £30 i ever spent.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    I would advise going into your nearest independent hiking store and getting your feet measured properly, and getting some boots to match your feet from someone who knows what they are talking about...
    Its all well and good getting everyones recommendations, but everybodys feet are different. You need to be matched up to the boots that fit your feet the best.
    I have tried the Scarpa and Meindl boots that are highly rated, but they do not fit my feet very well as I have a narrow foot. I have found, (and have been shown) that some of the Italian boot makers like LaSportiva and Zambalan fit me best. I have spent a lot of money on footwear in the past, including some expensive Timberland hiking "type" boots which turned out to be cool looking but rubbish for walking in.
    It does depend on what you want the boots for though.. If its cold weather stuff, you will want to go a size larger to allow for extra socks and room for your feet to get a warm layer. If its mountain walking, you will need tough leather, etc etc..

Leave it out you lot,this is a bushcraft forum not a bloody hikeing forum who needs £180 boots to sit around a camp fire caving and talking about wild life and this and that,we must have guys on here that dont have jobs,how do you think they feel about you lot talking £100 to put on you'r feet.I think we are getting away from the cheep and make do of bushcraft.my bc is allways dune in wood ,shelter fire food and for that all i need is ex army&navy store not some were you get fitted for you'r suff.When i started creeping about with long dog and catty i didant need £180 boots and i dont now,end of rant...........atb.......dont get eaton by the bears............TONY

Um?!

thats me right now, just been in to field and trek, they have a sale on at the mo, just picked up a pair of karrimor boots for £ 40 !!!

Hi mark ,whens the next get together/.s;d the boots

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1948 View Post
    Leave it out you lot,this is a bushcraft forum not a bloody hikeing forum who needs £180 boots to sit around a camp fire caving and talking about wild life and this and that,we must have guys on here that dont have jobs,how do you think they feel about you lot talking £100 to put on you'r feet.I think we are getting away from the cheep and make do of bushcraft.my bc is allways dune in wood ,shelter fire food and for that all i need is ex army&navy store not some were you get fitted for you'r suff.When i started creeping about with long dog and catty i didant need £180 boots and i dont now,end of rant...........atb.......dont get eaton by the bears............TONY
    hey tony, want to come out with me sometime?

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1948 View Post
    He asked for advice on boots, and the ones in his link (which you obviously didn't look at) were good quality Meindl hiking boots.
    Just cos your bushcrafting is done sat around a camp fire talking wildlife, it doesn't mean everyones bushcraft is the same. Many bushcrafters like to hike, and what is better to spend your money on than a good quality pair of boots that will last many years. Many bushcrafters will happily spend a similar amount on a knife, and all they do is play with it.
    When somebodys example is a £160 pair of boots, he is going to get advise on similar priced boots, because people will assume, thats his pricerange..

Tribal Elder
    hey hey whoah...will a pair of surplus boots cut it?

I'm a hiker simply because thats the terrain we have here.... If your not on the hill then your in the valley and thats a harder and wetter walk....