Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need new boots...any recommendations?

Brasher's Superlite are my preference but you'll only ever find a good pair of boots for yourself by trying loads on and walking round a bit (and then a bit more).

There have been some great boots mentioned above but I just cannot afford some of those prices so I just bought myself some Jack Pyke Countryman Boots. I know a lot of people flame Jack Pyke stuff but I love these boots they are flexible, waterproof, supportive, comfortable and didn't break the bank.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    hey hey whoah...will a pair of surplus boots cut it?

I'm a hiker simply because thats the terrain we have here.... If your not on the hill then your in the valley and thats a harder and wetter walk....
    Surplus boots will do you fine (so long they fit your feet well). I use German army para boots in the winter at work and for knocking about in. They are a bit wide for my feet, but with liner and Arctic socks, they fit well and keep my feet warm and dry, but I have not tried them in the wet and boggy Glens. If you look after them, they should look after you. Boot dubbin is good for non goretex lined boots.
    If you do buy goretex lined boots, only expect 2 to 3 years life out of the goretex, as it breaks down with use.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1948 View Post
    Leave it out you lot,this is a bushcraft forum not a bloody hikeing forum who needs £180 boots to sit around a camp fire caving and talking about wild life and this and that,we must have guys on here that dont have jobs,how do you think they feel about you lot talking £100 to put on you'r feet.I think we are getting away from the cheep and make do of bushcraft.my bc is allways dune in wood ,shelter fire food and for that all i need is ex army&navy store not some were you get fitted for you'r suff.When i started creeping about with long dog and catty i didant need £180 boots and i dont now,end of rant...........atb.......dont get eaton by the bears............TONY
    Interesting but somewhat wide of the mark. On the last meet you went on, I'm pretty sure you all arrived by car? Each of those cars cost a damned sight more than £180. Some of the 'bushcraft' we indulge in takes place many miles from the car park and we like to be comfortable and safe on the way in and the way out. Even the British Army allow their soldiers to invest in decent boots so why should it bother you?

I'm afraid Tony that, just because your idea of bushcraft is sitting around a fire carving spoons and chatting, some of us have a more adventurous notion of what we want out of our leisure time. And, whilst I'm on the subject, some of us have considerably more disposable income than others and we like to give and receive advice on how best to spend our hard earned cash. Should we feel guilty about this??

Not quite sure what your rant is all about to be honest but seems a bit of a misjudgement to me.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I see where Tony is coming from.

He's trying to say you don't need Gucci kit for everything. You don't need all this expensive gear.

Like someone said in another thread, Everyone has a different idea and meaning of bushcraft.
    When in doubt Brew-Up!

Tribal Elder
    im not loaded i just want dry feet :'(

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    im not loaded i just want dry feet :'(
    Then why does your link show a pair of £160 boots..?
    Just buy some cheap welly boots if you want dry feet and don't have much money to spend..

Quote Originally Posted by Bambii View Post
    I see where Tony is coming from.

He's trying to say you don't need Gucci kit for everything. You don't need all this expensive gear.

Like someone said in another thread, Everyone has a different idea and meaning of bushcraft.
    And I fully agree with that.. Most of my gear is surplus, but when someone asks for advice and shows a link to something they had in mind, which is a pair of £160 pair of boots, they are going to get advice on the information given..

Tribal Elder
    probably best just to kill this thread martin...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I've just bought a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX.
    Martin
    How are your boots holding up Martin? - Ive heard good and bad about them to be honest good for walking but ive read reports of leekage !

Trevor Wells - Reviewed: 03 February 2011 http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews...94.html?page=1
    It is always wet near us so i was wandering, before i go out and spend £100+ if you agree with this review...to be fair it is the only negative view on that site..

Thank you Martin....Iain.
    There's no brew without fire.