Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need new boots...any recommendations?

Tribal Elder

I need new boots...any recommendations?

Going by the seafood/faecal matter smell of my cheapy timberlands and the way my girlfriend downplayed any hope of a revival.... I'd say its time for a new pair of boots

Being in Scotland very waterproof and durable is essential, lightweight would be nice... Any suggestions? I was thinking of these.

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/meindl.../p3168#tdesc_1

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Meindl are great boots, I've got the 'Borneo' model which is very traditional but very comfortable, sadly they are a bit heavy so I've just bought a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX. I've only worn them a couple of times but they are very light. It remains to be seen how comfortable they will be after 20+ miles.

Not sure if you have a Taunton Leisure store up your way but I would strongly recommend buying premium priced boots from a high street shop. They will measure your feet properly and you will be able to give them a good try around the store. You may save £20 by buying them online but if they don't fit it will all be wasted money.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Or these and trear yourself with the money saved (a brolly perhaps )

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Go...tml#aGTE01LGTX

Tribal Elder
    ahhh im an 8 and half...would have no chance of picking the right size there....mioght have to head into town and try some on....blegh...

I would reccomend a pair of magnums. i have had a pair of the stealths for about a year nd they are great. they have been used almost continuously nd they look brand new(after a wipe and polish). They provide great ankle support, are very waterproof, if you use them with gaitors like i do you can go up to your knee in water or mud. They're also realatively cheap, i got mine for about 60 squid. I highly reccomend them.

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Another vote for Meindl Borne - or Haglöfs Solid Lite if you prefer a GoreTex boot.

I've had a pair of Karrimor blencathras for about two years (50 quid) and although I was never totally sold on the appearance, I can't fault them for comfort, regardless of sock combination or thickness. "Event" waterproofing, comfy airy lining,vibram soles, lightweight but durable. I was reluctant to buy anything with stitching round the front (yes - I am a fussy bugger), but they are showing no signs of wear yet, even after a few a couple of years use and "stiff brushings".
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Tribal Elder
    what does it boil down to with goretex vs leather? I have always gone for leather simply because its centuries proven....

bigzee, I am cautious of karrimor gear...the waterproof gloves I wore this weekend were not.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    The trouble is, you can get leather boots with a Goretex lining; I wouldn't but you can get it. It's a bit like the wool argument I guess, there are better materials out there but there will always be a market for traditional materials.

The Meindl Borneos are a very traditional leather walking boot. Pretty much bomb proof, very comfy but cost an arm and a leg and weigh a lot compared to a synthetic boot.

I'm still not sure which is best.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    what does it boil down to with goretex vs leather? I have always gone for leather simply because its centuries proven....

bigzee, I am cautious of karrimor gear...the waterproof gloves I wore this weekend were not.
    Not necessarily, you could take a look at some Lundhag Pro's, they use certech which is rubber with a leather upper part. I have worn a lot of boots over the years and they are the best boots Iv'e used by far. Now here's they downside........man are they exspensive! but you know what they say "Buy cheap buy twice"

Glen
    "Appearance is Important, so remember to Smile"

Nelson Mandela